Life Beyond Earth?

1 Conversation

For hundreds of years man has looked up and asked, "Is there life out there"? There have been hundreds of scientific looks into this subject, but I will not bore you with that. I am going to use common sense to prove to you there is, well maybe not prove, but just tell you my opinion.
First off lets look at the sheer size of the Universe. It takes the light from the Sun eight minutes to reach the Earth. That is traveling at light speed. How fast is light speed you ask, well it is 299,792,458 meters per second (or 1,079,252,848.8 km·h-1, which is approximately 186,282.397 miles per second, or 670,616,629.4 miles per hour). Can you imagine how fast that is? No, I did not think so. So the Sun is a very large distance away. Now think, that is just the Sun, the nearest galaxy is the Canis Major Dwarf galaxy, which is 25,000 light years away. A light year is how far light travels within a year. So, now picture how far away that is, and that is the closest galaxy to us. So I think I have proven to a point, that the Universe is a very large place, it is the closest thing to infinite that I can think of.
The second point I would like to make is that the Universe has billion of stars, planets, and other space like things. So I guess what I am trying to say is if the Universe is so big, and we have SO many planets and stars and other space things, then how could Earth be the only planet with life? Common Sense tells me that, we can not be the only planet with life.
One common counter point to this is God. God made us right? Well, I do not know if he did or didn't, but who is to say that if, God is real, that he did not make other planets with life? Where in the Bible does it say that God made only us?
Those are just some points that I wanted to point out. They are not the most scientific points in the world, but just think about it.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A11033056

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more