The Three Wise Men Myth

1 Conversation

The only reference to the wise men in the New Testament is in the Book of Matthew.

When Jesus was born in Bethlehem wise men came from the east to Jerusalem saying “Where is he that is born King of the Jews? We have seen his star in the east and have come to worship him.”

When King Herod heard about these things he was troubled, including all of Jerusalem. He then gathered together all the chief priests and scribes and demanded to know where Christ was born; their reply was: “In Bethlehem.”

King Herod then summoned the wise men and inquired of them what time the star appeared. He then sent the wise men to Bethlehem, saying: “Go and search diligently for the young child, and when you have found him, let me know so that I too may go and worship him.

The wise men departed, following the star they saw in the east, until it came to a stop over the place where the Jesus was. And when they entered the house they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down and worshipped him. Afterwards they opened their treasures and presented Jesus with gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. See Matthew 2:1-11.

From these eleven verses Christians have come to accept as fact, evidenced by the Nativity scenes we see at Christmas:

(a) There were three wise men,

(b) Their names were Balthasar, Gaspar, and Melchior,

(c) They made their journey from the East atop camels,

(d) They were Kings, and

(e) One was Black.

None of these so-called facts concerning the wise men can be found in the Bible.

The Gospel according to Luke is the only place in the Bible where the word “manger” appears. Luke makes no mention of the wise men or a bright star hovering above Jesus’ birthplace.

According to Luke, a decree went out from Caesar Augustus (when Cyrenius was governor of Syria) that all the world should be taxed. So Joseph made his way from Nazareth to Bethlehem, along with his wife Mary, to be taxed.

Upon their arrival in Bethlehem May gave birth to Jesus, wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger, as there was no room for them in the inn. There in the countryside were shepherds watching over their flock during the night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them saying: “Have no fear, as I bring you good tidings of great joy. Today in Bethlehem Christ the Lord is born. And this shall be a sign unto you. You can find baby Jesus wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.” The shepherds said to each other: “Let’s go now and see for ourselves Christ the Lord.” And they went hastily and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in a manger. See Luke 2:1-16.

Footnote. In Luke 2:1,2 Jesus is said to have been born at the time of a census when Cyrenius (actual name: Quirinius Varus) was governor of Syria. According to Roman history, such a census did occur, not in 4 B.C., but in 6-7 A.D.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1087643

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more