Easyworld - The Band

2 Conversations



A relatively unknown trio of indie-rock types, Easyworld hail from that centre of opulence and retirement homes, Eastbourne on the south coast of England. Reputedly they formed because they were "the only musicians in Eastbourne not in Toploader", but they have been around in various forms and under various names since drummer Glenn Hooper and frontman Dav Ford were at College together - Park College in Eastbourne in fact. The website for one of those early incarnations - Sheadly - is still up and running. There's some great little snippets such as:
Note to Editors: The band features Glenn on drums, Omar on bass, Gavin on lead guitar with Dave on rhythm. Still at school and taking A-levels in June, the band all contribute to song writing and development, each with their own musical and political agendas. The band have been described by a former Press Director for Virgin Records as "fresh and energetic" and the band "young enough to make it happen". Formerly known as the S***heads, they have been persuaded to change their name but not their passion and have become an adverb.

Thankfully though, however interesting the Sheadly website is as a curio for fans, Easyworld are these days slightly more lyrically sophisticated than the days when lines like "They call me Cowman. (Moooo) Your mouse is down my shoe." were the typical fare.

For a long time, the band floundered in its attempts to get signed or to find their identity. Dav went off to university in Manchester, but soon returned disheartened and ended up working in Our Price back in Eastbourne. Around this time, the band took the form we know today - Jo took over on bass. The story goes that she saw them live and, deciding the bassist couldn't play for toffee, told the band that she should be there instead. After reeling for a while over the sheer cheek of her, they took her up on the offer.

Taking the name 'Beachy Head', in reference to the famous (and actually breathtakingly beautiful) suicide spot near their homes, at the suggestion of their then manager. Under this name they recorded several demos such as "Get", "Right Thing", "Feensong", "So Young, So Freaky", "3 Minute Pop Song" and early versions of "Me", "Hundredweight", "You Were Right" and "Lights Out". These recordings were never officially released, but it is possible for a dedicated fan to get hold of them from other fans.

Towards the end of 2000 the name 'Beachy Head' was shed along with the manager and another, Doug Sturrock, who still manages the band was aquired. The new name, Easyworld, was taken from a lyric from the song "Better Ways To Self-Destruct" and, at the beginning of 2001, complete with a casual deal with legendary indie record label Fierce Panda and a single, Hundredweight, recorded and ready for release, they embarked on their first nationwide tour with sleazy birmingham rockers, King Adora and Crackout.

Another tour with King Adora and fellow sparkly indie-ers Mo*Ho*Bish*O*Pi soon followed, accompanied by the release of mini-album "...Better Ways To Self Destruct". Which did not include the song "Better Ways To Self Destruct", although the lyrics were printed in the sleeve. It was on this tour that the much fames junkie:whore t-shirts were produced. The King Adora fans lapped them up, and they're now particularly difficult to come by, but Dav later regretted them, thinking that they contributed to people getting the wrong impression of the band.

Following the King Adora tours, the band spent most of the rest of the year playing one-off gigs and negotiating a deal with Jive records, home of Birtney Spears and one of the few large independant labels left in the industry.

The first major outing for the band under Jive was a tour with rising stars, The Cooper Temple Clause to support their first release on their new label - Try Not To Think.1 At this point the band began to rise in favour with the magazine 'The Fly', gaining several favourable reviews and small articles.

Also at this time, the wabsite was taken over by Paul Annett AKA Pauly and a messageboard was added in place of the original guestbook. The community on this messageboard has continued to grow and support the band ever since.

After the Cooper Temple Clause tour, Easyworld had their first taste of a headline tour, with a mini-tour of mostly impossibly small venues in Scotland. This was followed by a successful tour with The Bluetones where a considerable chunk of fans were picked up and then finally, in May, Easyworld set sail on their first headline tour. The tour supported the release of 'Bleach' (which had had two previous incarnations as 'u make me want to drink bleach' on the b-side to Hundredwight and 'u make me want to drink bleach - stylophone mix' on the mini-album). This was the band's first glimpse of success as the video, filmed in a laundrette in london, was played occasionally on the music channel MTV2. However, this was not without controversy - the video was apparently banned for the line 'You make me want to drink bleach', in spite of the obvious metaphorical-ness. Ah well, it didn't make any difference anyway, the video was shown a good few times. Mostly at 3:17am. Bleach was their first release to actually chart, scaling the dizzy heights of No72, with the help of a couple of in-store signings.

By this point too, the fan community was fast explanding. over the summer a real group built up, seperate from the fans who just happened to be there when Easyworld were supporting King Adora. Inexplicably, they found common ground with asparagus, badgers and home-made t-shirts.

The album came out in June and was a suprise to most who had hoped just for a longer 'Better Ways...' It was almost entirely different in style, in spite of the fact that most of the songs from the mini-album were re-recorded for it. It was mellow, more adult and began to attract a different audience because of that. For the most part, the album passed under the radar of the music press, but there were some rather positive murmurings here and there.

Over the summer there were some spurious reports of Dav 'doing a Richey'.2 The truth was, he was just having a holiday in France. Some sections of the fanbase recount a story of a waiter who looked suspiciously like Mr Ford with a decidedly dodgy French accent being spotted in the South of France during this period. Dav later confirmed that he did spend time in the town in question, but has neither confirmed nor denied that he was that waiter.

The band came back with the release of 'You and Me', a song which they - particularly Dav - never seemed to like that much themselves. It was not representative of the sort of music they wanted to produce. Spunky and shallow, it was regularly introduced live as 'a song about shagging', often with a note that this is not what Easyworld are about. The public seemed to like it though, especially MTV2, who played the cheap-n-sleezy multi-layered blue-screen video (which featured freaky majorettes, seasides, a girl in stripy socks and a pillow fight) almost as regularly as they played Envy by Ash. Even Channel 4's 'Popworld' had a 30-second plug of it.

END PROPER BIT SO FAR

Their official site is here: http://www.easyworldinfo.com

and there are a few interviews here: http://spcam.cjb.net

Tour Dates (as Easyworld only) 3

On tour with King Adora

27th January 2001 - King Tuts, Glasgow

28th January 2001 - Glow 303, Aberdeen

29th January 2001 - The Venue, Edinburgh

30th January 2001 - Roadhouse, Manchester

2nd Febuary 2001 - Lomax, Liverpool

3rd Febuary 2001 - Leadmill, Sheffield

4th Febuary 2001 - Adelphi, Hull

6th Febuary 2001 - Sugarmill, Stoke

7th Febuary 2001 - Roadmenders, Northampton

8th Febuary 2001 - Princess Charlotte, Leicester

10th Febuary 2001 - Cavern, Exeter

11th Febuary 2001 - Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth

12th Febuary 2001 - Arts Centre, Norwich

13th Febuary 2001 - Academy, Birmingham

15th Febuary 2001 - Dingwalls, London

16th Febuary 2001 - Colosseum, Coventry

17th Febuary 2001 - Cockpit, Leeds
One-off Headliner

13th March 2001 - Dublin Castle, Camden
Random dates with ?

11th April 2001 - Esquires, BedfordOne Live In London

12th April 2001 - The Garage, London
Tour supporting King adora with Mo*Ho*Bish*O*Pi

25th April 2001 - Arts Centre, Norwich

26th April 2001 - Zodiac, Oxford

27th April 2001 - Leadmill, Sheffield

28th April 2001 - Stanley Theatre, Liverpool

30th April 2001 - Newcastle University

1st May 2001 - The Venue, Edinburgh

2nd May 2001 - King Tuts, Glasgow

3rd May 2001 - On Air East, Dundee

5th May 2001 - Glow 303, Aberdeen

6th May 2001 - Hop and Grape, Manchester

7th May 2001 - Cockpit, Leeds

11th May 2001 - Concorde 2, Brighton

12th May 2001 - Arts Centre, Colchester

13th May 2001 - Clwb Ifor Bach, Cardiff

15th May 2001 - Cavern, Exeter

17th May 2001 - Princess Charlotte, Leicester

19th May 2001 - Astoria, London

20th May 2001 - Fibbers, YorkFeetFirst

31st July 2001 - FeetFirst@The Palace, CamdenCarling Weekend Festival 2001

Friday 24th August 2001 - Reading Festival - 1st on Evening Session Stage

Saturday 25th August 2001 - Leeds Festival - 1st on Evening Session Stage One-Off Headliner (Club Fandango)

20th November 2001 - Dublin Castle, Camden

The Barfly Threesome
10th December 2001 Cardiff Barfly

11th December 2001 Sheffield Barfly

12th December 2001 London Barfly @ Camden Monarch
New Years Eve Gig With Ikara Colt and The Parkinsons

31st December 2001 London Highbury Garage
On Tour With The Cooper Temple Clause

31st January 2002 Newcastle Northumbria University

1st February 2002 Leicester Charlotte

2nd February 2002 Sheffield Barfly

3rdFebruary 2002 Manchester University

5th February 2002 Nottingham Rock City

6th February 2002 Stoke Sugarmill

7th February 2002 Wrexham Central Station

8th February 2002 Liverpool University

10th February 2002 Bristol Fleece

11th February 2002 Cardiff Barfy - Headlining
Easyworld's Scotland Headline mini-tour

21st February 2002 Glasgow King Tuts

22nd February 2002 Aberdeen Lava

23rd February 2002 Inverness Ragimor

24th February 2002 Dundee On Air East

26th February 2002 Perth Curly Lloyds
Supporting the Bluetones

1st March 2002 - Sheffield Foundry

2nd March 2002 - Warrington Parr Hall

3rd March 2002 - Leicester DeMontfort University

5th March 2002 - Norwich Waterfront

6th March 2002 - London Forum

7th March 2002 - Wolverhampton Wulfrun

9th March 2002 - Oxford Brookes University

10th March 2002 - Newcastle University

11th March 2002 - Leeds Met University

13th March 2002 - Southampton University

14th March 2002 - Exeter Lemon Grove

15th March 2002 - Replay Records, Bristol - Instore gig

15th March 2002 - Bristol Anson Rooms

17th March 2002 - Northampton Roadmenders

18th March 2002 - Lancaster Sugarhouse

19th March 2002 - Edinburgh Liquid Rooms
Headline date with Woodstar and Melaton supporting

27th March 2002 London Barfly @ Camden Monarch
Essential Festival

5th May 2002 -Ashton Court, Bristol
Headline tour with the Moonies supporting


15th May 2002 Leicester University

16th May 2002 Wolverhampton Civic

17th May 2002 Northumbria University

19th May 2002 Birmingham Academy

20th May 2002 Manchester Roadhouse

21st May 2002 Glasgow King Tuts

22nd May 2002 Sheffield Barfly

23rd May 2002 Oxford Zodiac

27th May 2002 Chelmsford Army and Navy

28th May 2002 Northampton Soundhaus

29th May 2002 London Garage
Play-and-Sign dates for Bleach

24th May 2002 - Virgin Megastore, Oxford Street, London (1pm)
24th May 2002 - Our Price, Eastbourne (6pm)
Middlesbrough Music Live (free festival)

3rd June 2002 - Middlesbrough
Signing for This Is Where I Stand

5th June 2002 - Virgin Megastore, Brighton
Dav, Milk + Cookies II

5th July 2002 - Park College, Eastbourne
Fierce Panda and Club Fandango present...Pandamonium 4

10th July 2002
Ashton Court Festival

20th July 2002 - Ashton Court, Bristol
Carling Weekend

23rd August 2002 - Leeds Festival

25th August 2002 - Reading Festival

Headline 'You and Me' tour

27th August 2002 - Newcastle Arts Centre

28th August 2002 - Glasgow Barfly

29th August 2002 - Sheffield Barfly

30th August 2002 - Liverpool University

31st August 2002 - Tunbridge Wells Forum

3rd September 2002 - Leicester Charlotte

4th September 2002 - Southend Chinnery's

5th September 2002 - Southampton Joiners

6th September 2002 - Cardiff Barfly

7th September 2002 - Bath Moles

9th September 2002 - Sanity Records, Eastbourne

10th September 2002 - Virgin Records, Camden

10th September 2002 - Feet First@The Palace, Camden
Headline homecoming gig

8th November 2002 - Library Theatre, Eastbourne
Acoustic Christmas Show

19th December 2002 - Union Chapel, Islington
Headline 'Junkies' Tour with Little Nikita and Longview

9th January 2003 - The Sugarmill, Stoke

10th January 2003 - Academy 2, Birmingham

11th January 2003 - The Empire, Middlesborough

12th January 2003 - King Tuts, Glasgow

14th January 2003 - Lava, Aberdeen

15th January 2003 - Raigmore, Inverness

16th January 2003 - Twa Tams, Perth

17th January 2003 - Fibbers, York

18th January 2003 - Civic Hall, Whitehaven

19th January 2003 - Leadmill, Sheffield

21st January 2003 - Soundhaus, Northampton

22nd January 2003 - Roadhouse, Manchester

23rd January 2003 - Rock City, Nottingham

24th January 2003 - Charlotte, Leicester

25th January 2003 - Liverpool University

27th January 2003 - Arts Centre, Norwich

28th January 2003 - Boat Race, Cambridge

29th January 2003 - Fleece, Bristol

30th January 2003 - Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth

31st January 2003 - The Garage, London
Middlesbrough Music Live (free festival)

26 May 2003 - Middlesbrough
Headline tour with The Delays and Atlas

6th July 2003 - Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth

7th July 2003 - Fleece, Bristol

8th July 2003 - Soundhaus, Northampton

9th July 2003 - Manchester University

11th July 2003 - Leadmill, Sheffield

13th July 2003 - Rescue Rooms, Nottingham

14th July 2003 - Liverpool University

15th July 2003 - Academy 2, Birmingham

16th July 2003 - Charlotte, Leicester

17th July 2003 - ULU, London
Randomised Dates

11th August 2003 - Underbelly, Edinburgh (Acoustic)

13th August 2003 - Cluny, Newcastle

16th August 2003 - Park Life Festival, Medway
Tour supporting Skin

Fri 26th September - Manchester Academy 3 (Hop and Grape)

Sat 27th September - Birmingham Academy 2

Sun 28th September - Leeds Cockpit

Wed 1st October - Bristol Fleece and Firkin

Thu 2nd October - Brighton Concorde

Fri 3rd October - London Shepherds Bush Empire
HMV instore tour (to support the release of 'Second Ammendment'

Mon 6th Oct - 5.30pm - 38 High St, BIRMINGHAM

Tues 7th Oct - 5.30pm - 90 Market St, MANCHESTER

Weds 8th Oct - 5.30pm - Argyle St, GLASGOW

Thurs 9th Oct - 5.30pm - 56 Northumberland St, NEWCASTLE

Fri 10th Oct - 5.30pm - 1 Victoria Walk, Headrow Centre, LEEDS
Dav, Milk, Cookies III

17th DECEMBER 2003- Eastbourne, Underground Theatre
Nationwide tour to support the releases of Til The Day and Kill The Last Romantic

January 7th - Southampton - Joiners

January 8th - Leicester Charlotte

January 9th - Little Civic, Wolverhampton

January 10th - Empire, Middlesborough

January 11th - York, Fibbers

January 12th - Academy, Liverpool

January 14th - King Tuts, Glasgow

January 15th - Cockpit, Leeds

January 16th - Louisiana, Bristol

January 17th - Barfly, Cardiff

February 17 OXFORD - Zodiac

February 18 READING - Fez

February 19 EXETER - Cavern

February 20 SWANSEA - Face Off @ Escape

February 21 BATH - Moles

February 23 NORTHAMPTON - Soundhaus

February 24 WARWICK - University

February 25 STOKE - Sugarmill

February 26 SCARBOROUGH - Kazbah

February 27 SUNDERLAND - Bar 36

February 28 EDINBURGH - Venue

March 1 INVERNESS - Raigmore

March 2 ABERDEEN - Lava

March 3 NEWCASTLE - University

March 4 MANCHESTER - Night and Day

March 5 BIRMINGHAM - Academy 2

March 6 LIVERPOOL - University

March 8 NORWICH - Arts Centre

March 9 PORTSMOUTH - Wedgewood Rooms

March 10 ALDERSHOT - West End Centre

March 11 LONDON - ULU

Discography

Hundredweight

7" Vinyl

1. Hundredweight

2. You Make Me Want To Drink Bleach

CD

1. Hundredweight

2. You Make Me Want To Drink Bleach

3. All I Ever Had
Released 19th Febuary 2001...Better Ways To Self Destruct

CD

1. Lghts Out

2. Hundredweight

3. Junkies and Whores

4. Someone Do Something

5. A Stain to Never Fade

6. U Make Me Want To Drink Bleach (stylophone mix)

7. Try Not To Think

8. Compilation Blues (Hidden Track
Released 21st May 2001Try Not To Think

7" Vinyl

1. Try Not To Think

2. Everyone Knows

CD

1. Try Not To Think

2. Everyone Knows

3. She's Something Else
Released 11th March 2002Chart Placing - 72Bleach

7" Vinyl

1. Bleach

2. People Who Don't Climb Ladders (aren't particularly likely to fall off ladders now, are they?)

CD

1. Bleach

2. Lights Out

3. People Who Don't Climb Ladders (aren't particularly likely to fall off ladders now, are they?)
Released 20th May 2002 Chart Placing - 67This Is Where I Stand

CD

1. Armistice

2. Try Not To Think

3. 100 Weight

4. Junkies and Whores

5. This Is Where I Stand

6. A Stain To Never Fade

7. Demons

8. By The Sea

9. Bleach

10. You and Me

11. You Were Right
Released 3rd June 2002You and Me

7" Vinyl

1. You and Me (single mix)

2. Right Thing

CD1

1. You and Me (new versions)

2. Little Sensation

3. Hopelessly Devoted To You

CD2

1. You and ME (album version)

2. Better Ways to Self Destruct

3. Bleach video
Released 9th September 2002Chart Placing - 57Junkies
7" Vinyl

1. Junkies

2. Enjoy The Silence

CD1

1. Junkies Radio Edit

2. Me

3. You And Me Promo Video

CD2 - Live at the Underground

1. Junkies

2. Demons

3. People Who Don't Climb Ladders

4. Junkies promo video
Released 27th January 2003Chart Placing - 40This Is Where I Stand - Japanese Release

CD

1. Armistice

2. Bleach

3. You And Me (single mix)t

4. Everyone Knows

5. Try Not To Think

6. 100 Weight

7. Junkies And Whores

8. This Is Where I Stand

9. A Stain To Never Fade

10. Demons

11. By The Sea

12. Better Ways To Self Destruct

13. Little Sensation

14. Lights Out

15. Hopelessly Devoted To You

16. You Were Right

17. Right Thing
Released 5th Febuary 2003Second Ammendment
7" Vinyl

1. Second Ammendment

2. Where Happy Is

CD1

1. Second Ammendment

2. Young In Love

3. Dave, Where Have You Gone?

CD2

1. Second Amendment

2. Other Man

3. A Lot Like...

4. Second Ammendment promo video
Released 6th October 2003Chart Placing -42
1An interview with the band conducted on this tour is available here for those who are interested.2Richey Edwards, guitarist and lyricist with the Manic Street Preachers, went missing in 19953Thanks to those who reside at the EasyBoard and especially a certain Ms. Jo Taylor, for their invaluable help with this section

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1080640

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more