Think about it.

0 Conversations

As new DNA sites are created reducing the talent pool of h2g2 is always a real danger. The h2g2 community must hold together, but at the same time those who get their feet wet on other specific DNA sites need to be encouraged to look at DNA in its broader sense and not stagnate in relative obscurity. (BotF and WW2 have finite possiblities). In the long term DNA Sites need to be amalgamated as a whole community that will truly be concerned with 'Life, The Universe and Everything'.
The aspiration of DNA (the man) embodied the technology along with the community. The technology and his memory are now enshrined in the DNA Hub but as each new site is created that aspiration of Life, The Universe and Everything under the guise of h2g2 becomes diluted.
New sites need to be created, after all they are only Groups in h2g2 terminology, but Groups that should always see themselves as part of a larger community. The problem is to ensure that members who sign up for the new sites are nudged gently into the direction of that wider community. New sites should never be set up in the belief that they stand alone. They need to remember that they are part of a larger community driven by 'DNA the BBC's web site Engine.'
At the moment there is a subtle difference. h2g2 Groups grew from within the h2g2 community, new DNA sites are looking for new communities. If the Hub was extended to be recognised as the community centre those seperate DNA sites could become DNA groups in their own right. The aspirations of Douglas N Adams would be met and his memory enshrined in an expanded, redifined community site and h2g2 would have gone full circle.

H2g2 by any other name would smell as sweet. <space><smiley>

This guide entry is linked to DNA Feedback conversation :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/hub/F94020?thread=284509
and Guide Entry :- A896097

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1074962

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more