Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia (PCD)

1 Conversation


PCD is a medical condition affecting the movement of the cilia. But what on earth are cilia, what happens when they don’t move properly (dyskinesia) and how does this affect the body?


What are cilia?


Unless you have PCD you may not even be aware that you have cilia. However, they turn out to be pretty vital pieces of equipment. The PCD Support Group website defines cilia as “…the microscopic hairs which beat in the airways to sweep secretions out of the respiratory tract”. In a healthy respiratory system, when the cilia have done their job, mucus is swept to the larger airways where it can be got rid of (usually by coughing). So you could say that the cilia are the protectors of the respiratory system. They may be small, but they’re very important.

What happens to the cilia in someone with PCD?

The cilia of people with PCD may be deformed, causing them not to move properly, or they may not have developed at all. However, they may also appear to be normal, but still not function correctly.

So what happens if the cilia don’t move properly?

People with PCD have are prone to infections of the lungs (chest infections), sinus infections (sinusitis) and ear infections. They may seem to always have a runny or blocked nose. This is because the mucus that should be swept away by the cilia just sits in the airways. This can be a cause of infection, and, once infected, it is difficult for a person with PCD to get rid of the infection. In cases of chest infection, for example, infected mucus is not cleared away by the cilia, but remains in the lungs, prolonging the period of infection. Because of the frequency of infection to organs such as the lungs and ears, long-lasting or permanent damage may result. Hearing loss is common among people with PCD.

The effects of severe PCD are similar to those of Cystic Fibrosis (CF), and can be mistaken for this disease. A "sweat test" can be used to determine whether a person has PCD or CF. Unlike CF patients, people with PCD will have normal sweat chloride values. The PCD Foundation website describes the medical history of a “typical PCD patient” thus: “includes neonatal respiratory distress (coughing, gagging, choking, lung collapse as a newborn), chronic cough, pneumonia, bronchitis, atelectasis [collapsed lung or lungs failing to fully expand at birth], excess mucus, and difficulty clearing lung secretions. Otitis media (middle ear infections) and hearing loss are universal in this patient population, as are severe sinus infections…”


As well as the respiratory system and abdominal organs, other areas of the body can be affected. Cilia are also found in the ventricles of the brain, and so people with PCD may experience severe headaches. The reproductive system of both men and women with the condition may also be affected: The tail of the sperm is similar in structure to that of cilia, so any problems with movement of the cilia may also be present in the sperm, making their journey to fertilise the egg more difficult. In women, infertility may occur because the fallopian tubes are lined with cilia to aid the journey of the egg, and so if the cilia are ineffective this may hinder the progress of the egg and so damage reduce a woman’s chances of a successful conception.


About half the people who have PCD also have a condition called Situs inversus totalis. Situs inversus totalis is where the abdominal organs, including the heart, liver, spleen, and intestines, are on the opposite side of the abdominal cavity to normal. These organs may still work properly even though they are in a "mirror-image" position, but problems with the heart, liver, and spleen have been reported in people with SIT. Where PCD and Situs inversus totalis occur together the condition is known as Kartagener's Syndrome.


The symptoms of people with PCD vary according to the severity of the person’s condition. Some people, who only have it relatively mildly, can live a pretty normal life, only having to do physiotherapy if they suffer a particularly severe chest infection. Others have to have physiotherapy twice a day as a matter of course, and even more often if they contract an infection.


What causes PCD?


Not much is known about PCD, but it is thought to be a recessively inherited condition – both parents carry the defective gene. It currently affects about 1 in 15,000 people, so is relatively rare.

Treatment


The most important treatment for PCD is supportive, consisting primarily of physiotherapy to clear the airways and try to prevent infection.


In days gone by people with PCD who suffered from chest infections had to be tipped over a pile of cushions and "clapped" on the side to loosen the mucus, and then cough it out into a plastic pot. Not very enjoyable, as you can imagine. Thankfully, since those days better physiotherapy techniques have been developed. There are breathing routines that can help, and these are a lot more practical to do if you’re not at home.


In case of infection, antibiotics are required immediately, as any mucus in the airways is a great breeding ground for unpleasant bugs. In case of particularly severe infections admission to hospital and the use of intravenous antibiotics may be necessary.
Bronchodilators, mucolytics (mucus thinners), and steroids can also be used to treat the effects of PCD.

Psycho-Social effects of PCD


As mentioned above, many people with PCD have to do physiotherapy several times a day to clear mucus from the lungs to try to decrease the risk of chest infections.


Obviously, it’s not very convenient to have to do physiotherapy twice a day if you’re at work or school, or even just out for the day. Recurrent chest and/or ear infections and sinusitis may also mean that the person with PCD has to have a lot of time off work or school. Dr Chris McManus, of University College London has done, and is continuing, research into the psycho-social effects of PCD.

Where can I find out more about PCD?


The PCD Family Support Group website has lots of helpful information, as does the PCD Foundation (American PCD support group) website.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A10658450

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more