Exams and Revision

0 Conversations

Exams (And how to pass them)

Lets face it, exams aren't exactly the best way of measuring ability are they? They're suppsoed to measure your ability in a given situation should you inadvertantly be thrown into the 'real' world, but think about it:

Imagine you're sitting in the real world, in a real office (or cubicle), at your real desk, when your real boss comes in (or pages you, or emails you) with a real problem for you to solve. Something real for you to do. How do you respond? Do you lock yourself in your room with a single pen and a piece of paper, set a timer for one and a half hours and refuse to talk to anybody? I think not. You're more likely to phone great uncle Bob, who had a similar task at your age, or send an email to a couple of mates who once did a relevant weekend course. Or leap onto the nearest internet search engine and find out if anyone has had any bright ideas. Last thing you want to do is sit by yourself, chewing your pen infrustration until it splits, messing up your real shirt.

But we're stuck with them, because no- one has come up with anything better (except coursework of course- that's far more realistic and infintely more interesting and variable). Instead of coming up with something better (I don't have time, you see, I have too many exams...) I think I'll take a break from revision and put together a little something to help those who, like me, hate exams with a passion.

Revision

First things first, eh? Where better to start than the dreaded 'R' word:
My dictionary describes revision, in a relevant context, as "The act or process of revising". Hmm. Helpful. O.k, I'll give it a shot myself: Revision is what people do when they are not confident that they'll pass an exam, but want to reassure themselves and others that they've done everything they possibly can to avoid failure. The process of 'revision' usually starts about three days before an exam, and causes a virtual redecorating of your room with bits of paper and mathematical symbols.

Revision techniques

Manage your time

It is important to manage your time, i.e. to actually do some revision. Some people like to draw out a time table for the week, planning each session in advance, including lunch, rest and sleep breaks. It is only avisable to devise a timetable for yourself if you're likely to keep to it- it's no use timetabling yourself to start at 8:00 in the morning, and then not getting up until 11:00. If, like me, you'd probably spend more time drawing the table than you would sticking to it, it's not the best idea. But some forward planning is essential, even if it's only in your mind.

Revision is best in short bursts

Studies have shown that you remember more from the beginning and the end of your sessions than you do from the middle. So if you have shorter sessions more often, you have more beginnings and more ends, so you remember more stuff. Simple. How long your sessions are is down to your individual preferences, but I find that 20 minute stints with 5 minutes or so in between is most effective.

Set short term revision goals, and stick to them

For instance, you could set yourself a past paper to do, or simply just concentrate on one particular chapter for 20 minutes.

Reward yourself

Rewarding yourself can behelpful- if, for instance, you say to yourself 'I'll work from 11:05 until 11:25 and then I can have a nice relaxing bath', you are more likely to stay motivated and work until the end of your session. After your short break, go back to work again, with another reward in mind.

Limit Your Subjects

It's a good idea to just revise one subject in any given session- this will help improve your concentration, and switching between subjects may just cause confusion.

Don't Dwell

Don't just dwell on either the areas you are most or least confident with- spend time revising what you are already confident with, and also with difficult areas. If you are completely stuck on one particular area though, don't spend your entire session struggling with it. Spend a few minutes on it, then move to a different (though preferably related area) for a while. Then come back- the break and different material may help to clear your mind and take a fresh viewpoint.

Finally

Related to the last point: it's better to do one small thing well, than to do lots of small things badly.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1056610

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more