Motivational Work Exercises

1 Conversation

Good afternoon, faithful student

As your Motivational Guru, I, Miss Canbee Arsd, feel that I should do more to promote those go-getting adrenalin pumping feelings you seem to have been lacking in a little lately. This is a quick exercise you can do right there at your desk any time you get a minute:

Close your eyes and visualise...
Visualise a great sweeeeeeeeping desktop...
Visualise a computer on it, connected to the Net...
Visualise a twirly chair, with you sitting on it...
Now...
Visualiiiise sitting in front of the computer, with your left elbow on the desk and forearm rising vertically...
Visualiiiise placing your chin in the cup of your left hand and your right arm lying bent at a seventy degree angle across the sweeeeeping desktop...
Visualiiise the fingers of your right hand tapping rhythmically on the desktop...

Gooooood. Well done. Okay, that was the mental preparation for the physical exercise we are now going to undertake - and I'm going to do it right here too. Okay, now I want you to actually do this as I tell you to, okay and then at the end of the exercise we will both be perfect personifications of enthusiasm, alertness and motivation. Ready? Then here we go...

Okay, now for this exercise you will need to move your chair approximately one foot to the left or right of your computer, to whichever side has the most space...

A prop is usually good to have for this, a book, newspaper or entertainment magazine is best but if you don't have one then something to do with what you are working on is fine...

Oooohhhhkay...now open the prop and place it on the surface in front of you...

Using the Visualisation Exercise we practised before, arrange your body in the same position, looking at the prop...

The finger tapping may be interrupted on occasion to enable turning of the pages on your prop, but otherwise this position must not be compromised as this will affect the aura of alertness and efficiency which now surrounds you...

Once you feel you have mastered this basic position, you can go on to add more little subtlties which will further enhance the motivational effect. Here are some examples to get you started:

1. Add an open packet of crisps or other snack food as a prop and periodically dip into it, crunching loudly or licking the chocolate off casually.

2. Half close your eyes, this will make you look so busy that nobody will interrupt you.

3. (This is a good reactionary one whenever the telephone rings or somebody asks you a question): Revolve your field of vision around the edge of your eyes and sigh deeply.

Now that I have filled you with the Motivational Spirit you will be able to face any situation within the workplace. I hope that I have been an inspiration...

Miss Canbee Arsd

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1048088

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more