Banana Bread Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Banana Bread

4 Conversations

A plate of banana bread

We've all done it at some point: bought a pound of greenish bananas with the intention of eating them when they get ripe, then forgotten about them, and now the previously pristine bunch of bananas now resembles nothing so much as the decomposing hand of a dead gorilla. However, put aside thoughts of consigning them to the compost heap1: bananas are at their tastiest when they are on the cusp of going rotten, and the recipe given here preserves their flavour and aroma but thankfully not their appearance. Banana bread is a light and tasty sweet bread which is great for breakfast or just with a cup of coffee.

It's also very easy to make.

Ingredients

You will need:

  • 500g Extremely ripe peeled bananas: if their skin is splitting then they're about right
  • 100g soft margarine
  • 100g demerara, muscovado or refined sugar
  • One egg
  • 200g wholemeal flour
  • 1tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2tsp grated nutmeg
  • 1tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2tsp salt
  • 75g seedless raisins, tossed in some flour
  • 4tbsp chopped walnuts or pecans
  • A food processor or electric whisk plus mixing bowl

Method

  1. Mash the bananas with the vanilla extract and set aside. They shouldn't need much mashing: if they take a lot then they're not ripe enough2.

  2. Now, with the food processor/mixer, cream together the sugar, margarine then add the egg, and beat until light and fluffy. Sift in the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg and whizz until blended. Then add the banana and vanilla mix and beat this into the mixture. Then, on a low setting, add the raisins and nuts and whisk just until mixed.

  3. Now grease a 1kg non-stick loaf tin, pile in the mixture and bake at Gas Mark 4/180°C on the middle shelf for an hour or until a skewer inserted into the loaf comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool, and eat with butter, jam, honey or whatever you like.

1Being essentially a cloned species and having little genetic variation, the ubiquitous banana is under threat as new strains of pest threaten to run unchecked through the breeding stock. Enjoy them while you can, and don't chuck 'em just because they don't look nice.2Do not be tempted to make do with underripe bananas: the visual appeal of a banana has an inverse relationship with its flavour, and banana bread made from underripe fruit is quite revolting.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A1031932

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more