General Hospital

0 Conversations

Blackadder Series 4, episode 5: General Hospital

The Plot:

While George is in hospital, he befriends a pretty nurse called Mary and a highly suspicious soldier called Smith, who speaks with a strong German accent. Melchett has information that a German spy is at work at the hospital, and he asks Blackadder to “smoke the bugger out”. Blackadder enjoys his time at the hospital immensely, seeing a lot of Nurse Mary, “almost all of her, in fact.” He exposes her as the spy and she is sent out to face the firing squad. Oddly, Mary wasn’t the spy, and nor was Smith - it was George, who spent his stay in hospital writing jolly informative letters to his Uncle Hermann in Munich.


Tally ho, pip pip!

George receives a small food parcel from his in-bred family: “…a potted turkey, a cow in jelly, three tinned sheep, and twelve hundred chocolates.”


Insult of the week:

Blackadder: I lost closer friends than “darling Georgie” the last time I was deloused.


War’s a horrid thing. Ding a ling a ling:

Blackadder’s succinct summary of British battle plans: “to continue with total slaughter until everybody’s dead except Field Marshall Haig and Lady Haig and their tortoise, Alan.”



Quotes:

Melchett: If there’s one thing I’ve learnt in the army, it’s never ignore a pooh-pooh!



Blackadder to George: Somewhere outside Saffron Walden there’s an uncle who is seven feet tall with no chin and an Adam’s apple that makes him look as if he’s constantly trying to swallow a ballcock.



Melchett: If you come back with the information, Captain Darling will pump you thoroughly in the debriefing room.


Read the other episode guides:


Series 1:
1. The Foretelling
2. Born to Be King
3. The Archbishop
4. The Queen of Spain's Beard
5. Witchsmeller Pursuivant
6. The Black Seal


Series 2:
1. Bells
2. Head
3. Potato
4. Money
5. Beer
6. Chains


Series 3:
1. Dish and Dishonesty
2. Ink and Incapability
3. Nob and Nobility
4. Sense and Senility
5. Amy and Amiability
6. Dual and Duality


Series 4:
1. Captain Cook
2. Corporal Punishment
3. Major Star
4. Private Plane
5. General Hospital
6. Goodybyeee


These guides were brought to you by the BBCi Comedy website.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1025588

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more