What to do if You get Stuck on Electricity Wires

2 Conversations


Electricity wires are dangerous! Do not intentionally get stuck on power lines, or climb up to them! Do not play with electricity!



Getting stuck on Electricity power lines is often a problem, and one which can be very tricky to get out of, especially as these power lines are on the top of huge pylons a long way from the ground.

How to get stuck


One major problem is how to get up there in the first place. There are several hypothetical ways to get onto the power lines.
  • Falling from the sky
    Hopefully with a parachute on. Use of this method is common, as parachutes can get tangled in the lines.
  • By Climbing up on the pylon
    This method is trickier, as there is not only the barbed wire around the base, but also the risk of electrocution. Electricity can jump a few centimetres through air at high voltage, so anyone using this method must launch himself or herself from the pylon, and be a few centimetres away from it, and then catch the wires to be stuck.
  • Get Accidentally Caught in a Twister

    Which then flings you on the wires. It's times like that, you know you should've gone into the storm shelter.
  • Making poor Navigation and Thermal-Hopping choices while Hang-gliding
  • Summoning a Hurricane or Earthquake to Brings the Wires Down

    This allows you to hop on at leasure, but requires knoewldege of witchcraft and/or gods. However, if you can do that, anything else shoule be a doddle.
  • Causing a Flood

    By carefully caculating the change in water level, you can cause break a dam or levee, which will then raise you (and hopefully, the boat you are in) to wire level.
  • Misjudging the quantity of charge in your cannon for a Human Cannonball Act

    And a weak tent.

What to do if you are Stuck


One method is to jump. The most likely outcome of this is some broken bones.



You could lower yourself down on a rope, providing that the rope stops some way above the ground and does not touch the pylon. An alternative to the rope is the trusty towel, though you may need quite a few.



If there's anyone nearby, see if they can make a soft landing spot for you.

What NOT to do if you are stuck


  1. Accept the local's attempts to get you down using a ladder. This will create a link to the ground, which will send a few thousand volts through you. For the same reason, do not try to climb back down the pylon.
    The scientific reason for all this is that the wire is at several thousand volts, while the ladder or pylon is at 0 volts. By completing a circuit to the ground, there is a difference in voltage (or "potential" as Physicists like to call it), of a few thousand volts.

  2. Look down. Power lines are quite high up.

  3. Panic

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1021339

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more