Individualism

2 Conversations

Individuals may exhibit a tendency to believe that their own judgment, values, and decisions work the best for that individual, as opposed to the judgment, values and decisions of some other objective authority, such as the rules and tenets of a particular organization, or a collective. They see the welfare of a group as subordinate to the welfare of the individuals within that group. This tendency is called Individualism.

Individualism coexists with collectivism* as poles of a spectrum, not simply as one of two choices. Thus, an individual may be extremely individualistic, moderately individualistic, or somewhat individualistic, and so conversely somewhat collectivistic, moderately collectivistic, or extremely collectivistic.

Individualism does not necessarily suggest isolation. Indeed, an individual has no one to be an individualist towards if there is no else around. Individualism does suggest a tendency not to join groups that require their members follow the orders of the group of their own predilections, but it does not necessarily interfere with joining a group where the members are still at liberty to take their own actions.

Reccomended Sites

Lots of people smarter than myself have been defining individualism longer than I have been alive. Thus, while it is of course right and proper for an individualist such as myself to write my own definition, I must admit there are a few others. The best one I have found so far is the Catholic Encyclopedia Definition. Also, you might want to check out the Galaxy Gulch, the individualist hang-out on H2G2.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1005175

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more