A Conversation for The Great Vowel Shift

When I was in a university linguistics class....

Post 1

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

The professor used to get the hugest kick out of having me speak to demonstrate what the "Great Lakes Vowel Shift" sounds like. Personally, I can't hear it -- I was never all too clear what made my voice sound so different from those of my Texan classmates. I had grown up with Texan parents, so I said y'all just like the Texans did. But I grew up outside of Chicago, so there's apparently something about the way I say my vowels that is distinctly "Great Lakes"-ish.

smiley - mouse


When I was in a university linguistics class....

Post 2

anhaga

I left Ottawa when I was four years old but I'm still told (three decades later) that I have an "Ottawa Valley Accent".


When I was in a university linguistics class....

Post 3

anhaga

I'm very surprised that the great vowel shift has been the inspiration for so many conversations. smiley - biggrin

Maybe I'll write an entry on the Venerable Bede.


When I was in a university linguistics class....

Post 4

anhaga

oh, crap. there already is one: A534764


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more