The Spanish American War

1 Conversation

War Clouds


Cuba, the scourge of the Carribean1 had been trying to free itself from Spanish rule. Cubans had been ineffectively trying uprisings and guerrilla warfare. The Spanish eventually became concerned of its hold on Cuba. After the Spanish sent military efforts to squash uprisings, the American people felt sympathy for the Cubans, and with a substantial amount of capital funds invested in Cuba, Americans sided with Cuba. America hoped to rid the western hemisphere of Spanish influence to acquire their possessions in the Caribbean and Pacific.



American President William McKinley sent a battleship to protect US intrests in Cuba from riots. On February 15 1898, the US Battleship, USS Maine blew up in a harbor killing 266 sailors. Media outlets and newspapers played up the event relentlessly until Americans were ready, even eager for a war with Spain. It was never actually proven that Spain blew up the Maine, but that didn't stop the US from hostile policies. In March, the United States told Spain to cease hostilities in Cuba, and on April 10, they obliged. But McKinley sent a message of war to US Congress despite Spain's willingness. On the 19 of April, America demanded that Spain give up Cuba and recognize its independance. Later, on April 24, Spain declared war on America, and the US returned suit the next day.

The War


Actions of strategy began quickly. The United States sent a blockade to head off the Spanish fleet at Cuba. Commodore Dewey, who was in charge of the Pacific squadron had been directed to destroy the Spanish Fleet stationed at Manila Bay. On May 1, Dewey destroyed the entire Pacific fleet with no American losses.


American General Shafter and 17,000 troops, including the famous Rough Rider volunteer group landed near the key harbor of Santiago de Cuba, and took El Caney and San Juan hill. Later, Spanish Admiral Pascual Cervera ran for the open sea to attack the blockade. Not one Spanish vessel survived. After the entire Spanish fleet was destroyed, Americans attacked Santiago, and the city surrendered.


In 1898 An armistice was signed in August and a treaty was signed in Paris in December. Spain relinquished Cuba, Puerto Rico, Guam and sold the Philippines to the United States.

Aftermath


Now that the United States had proved itself a world power, it had new responsibilities, especially with its new territories and protectants. Cuba made a constitution designed after Americas, and the Americans withdrew from Cuba, reserving the right to intervene. Puerto Rico established an American appointed government and a group of representatives. Puerto Rico is still under American control.
1Comes off sounding like a pirate, huh?

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A970247

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more