A Conversation for Great Comedy Acts

Ken Dodd

Post 1

Terran

Locally a legend in Liverpool (my homeland), the man is still entertaining people all over the country, young and old alike, well in to his seventies (though you wouldn't think he was in his seventies if you looked at him). He still lives in Knotty Ash, Liverpool, the place he has lived virtually all his life.

He started in the 1950's, and had two number one singles in the British Charts (I'm not sure but I think its two of "Tears", "Love is like a violin" and "happiness"[used recently in the TV series staring Paul Whitehouse of the same name]), in the early to mid nineteen sixties. I'm not sure how many other comedians could claim to have two number one singles! His theme tune, which he runs out to at the start of every performance, is a sped up version of "Happiness".

Obviously, though, his main claim to fame is as a comedian. And for which he is universally regarded through out the comedy world as a genius. Though he was unsuccessful in breaking through the notoriously difficult American market, in Britain there are few who have matched him. His trademarks are the tickling stick (Many a source of jokes), and the diddy men, and also his home in Knotty Ash. The only way to appreciate his humour is to go and see him, whilst many younger people (like as myself) have grown up with a "different" sense of humour, all who have seen him agree he is brilliant.

He has been in many television shows, and has recently been involved in two "Audience with Ken Dodd" shows on ITV, which have both been successful. However he was also involved in a Tax evasion court case, of which he was proved innocent.

He is certainly at least the equal of any other great, and is still going to day. And long may Doddy reign as the squire of Knotty Ash. smiley - biggrin

smiley - musicalnote"We are the diddy men, doddy's diddy - diddy men. We are the diddy men who commmmmeeeee, from Knotty Ash!"smiley - musicalnote


Ken Dodd

Post 2

Terran

Also did anyone hear about the stalker who has just been found guilty of stalking him? Shes 34! Weird eh?


Ken Dodd

Post 3

Smij - Formerly Jimster

I'm always surprised by the amount of non-Liverpudlian people who mock when you mention 'Knotty Ash'; although it hasn't got the Jam Butty Mines that Ken joked about, it is a real place, right in between Childwall and West Derby.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more