The Post Quiz: Spies Real and Imagined - Answers

1 Conversation

Don't look now, but an unlikely combination of letters may be following you.

Spies Real and Imagined: Answers

Okay, we admit it: our favourite acronym for an evil spy agency is the one in the Zoo Crew. A Cabal Recently Organized Solely To Instigate Crimes cannot be topped.

We will now proceed to separate the real from the imagined in the spy world. (We're clever like that.)

  1. SHISH: real. It stands for Sherbimi Informativ Shteteror, or State Intelligence Service in Albanian.
  2. NSA: real, although the US National Security Agency sometimes pretends it isn't.
  3. BMLVS: real. Austria's Bundesministerium für Landesverteidigung und Sport has many jobs, from guarding the 'army forest' to military intelligence to training for the Olympics. (AEIOU, guys!)
  4. SPECTRE: fictional. Special Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge, and Extortion seem to be out to get James Bond.
  5. UNIT: fictional. And the UN hopes we all know this. They specifically asked the producers of Doctor Who to change the acronym to keep them out of it. We don't know exactly what the UN has against Gallifrey, but they'd better hope they know how to deal with Daleks on their own.
  6. SUPO: real. Finland's Suojelupoliisi, or Security Intelligence Service, is probably spying on Milla right now.
  7. BfV: real. And the weird acronym probably gives it away that this is a German agency, the Bundesamt für Verfassungsschutz. It protects the constitution, but apparently is uninterested in sport.
  8. VFD: fictional. Lemony Snicket gave us the amazing secret society known as the Volunteer Fire Department.
  9. UNCLE: fictional. But oh, the girls swooned for Napoleon Solo and Ilya Kuryakin back in the swinging 60s.
  10. PIS: real. What, you've never heard of the Puntland Intelligence Service in Somalia? Really, you must keep up with these things.

How many 'intelligence gathering' agencies are out there? Who knows? There are probably some so secret that they only use glyphs. Hey, let's start one of our own. It could be called Citizens All United To Intimidate Organised Numbskulls.

James Bond homage
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

16.05.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87871864

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more