Freebie Film Tip #7: The Rise and Fall of the Great Lakes

0 Conversations

Get out the popcorn. It's November.

Freebie Film Tip #7: The Rise and Fall of the Great Lakes

Oh, those Canadians. What can we do with them? They're so…cutting-edge. They're so…aggressively provocative. They're so…polite about it all. Today, children, they are going to give us all a lesson in ecology. Courtesy of the Great Lakes.

All right, just in case you come from another country and aren't sure where the Great Lakes are, here's the Guide Entry. And here's a handy view from space. Now that that's taken care of, let's get into an environmentalist mood by listening to Joni Mitchell.

Today's Short Subject: Canadian (note how I got that in) singer Joni Mitchell went on holiday to Hawaii in 1970. Guess what spoiled her view at the hotel? Was there really a 'tree museum'? Er, yes, there was, for endangered species. Her resulting hit song, Big Yellow Taxi1, made people think about what they were doing to the planet. The link is to the animated music video produced by John Wilson for the Sonny and Cher show back in the day. Sonny and Cher were kind of out there. So, Canadians and environmentalism.

Today's Feature Film: 1968's The Rise and Fall of the Great Lakes was not exactly a blockbuster production, but it did make waves. (Ouch. Sorry. I get this way when I talk about Canadian artists.) It's a National Film Board of Canada education production that proved enormously popular, and won a BAFTA award.

The humour is pretty much slapstick. As far as the music goes, well, the Folk Revival has a lot to answer for. Anyway, it's a whole 17 minutes, and you can stand it for that long.

We suspect this film has livened up many a 10th grade biology class. So turn out the lights, sit quietly, and don't throw spitballs. You're going to learn something about our natural heritage and our peculiar neighbours to the North.

Freebie Film Tips #3 Archive
1Somebody who put together the W*k*ped*a article for Big Yellow Taxi has a quirky sense of humour (and should be on h2g2). They added this photo, and wondered if anybody knew why the sign was there. It's on the other side of the state, but maybe I can get somebody to check it out.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87862729

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more