Freebie Film Tip #24: Sci-Fi Break: Revolutionary Dilemmas

0 Conversations

Freebie Film Tip #24: Sci-Fi Break: Revolutionary Dilemmas

Today, for one day only, we take a break from science fiction. Well, I say that, but Irish politics can be surreal, so maybe we're not that far off from the subject. Sean O'Casey, a great playwright, had the gift of illuminating the human condition with a razor-sharp observation of the people around him. Thus it is with Shadow of a Gunman, a beautiful play about ordinary, rather endearing people caught up in a horrible situation.

One remarkable thing about this play was that it premiered in 1923 – but the events it describes happen in 1920. I can't imagine anyone else in the world being able to write such a clear-headed play so shortly after the kind of contentious turmoil that takes place in this story. Can you imagine a critical play about the American Revolution written in 1786? Ha! Or a satirical play lampooning the behaviour of the Great Powers so shortly after World War I, anywhere? I think not.

Best of all, this performance features Kenneth Branagh and Stephen Rea. They're both terrific here, as are all the other actors. The story just springs to life. I read that there was a US TV version starring Richard Dreyfuss. Unfortunately, I can't find a clip for comparison. Dreyfuss is a talented actor, and I've seen some of his early dramatic work, which is good. But frankly, I can't imagine a US cast getting this right. I've sat through US productions of JM Synge that will make your ears hurt. Why do they do it?

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the play. O'Casey's a revelation, and this is an expert production.

Dramatic reenactment of events of 1918, when Eamon De Valera and Michael Collins campaigned for Sinn Fein in the general election.
2014 Freebie Film Tips Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87843847

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more