Pre-Raphaelite Theatre: Mark Twain's Titian

1 Conversation

Pre-Raphaelite Theatre Guest Collaboration: Babysitting Blues

Mark Twain's Titian's Moses.

Editor's Note: In 1880, Mark Twain published an account of his walking tour of Europe, called A Tramp Abroad. Twain explained that, like many of his contemporaries, he wanted to learn all about Art. In the frontispiece to the 1880 edition, Twain's engraver reproduced one of Twain's favourite paintings, 'Titian's Moses'. The great author praised this work highly.

You'll notice, though, that this work – engraved by Adolphe Francois Pannemaker (1822 – 1900) and based on the famous painting by Paul Delaroche (1797 – 1856), enttitled 'Miriam and Moses', shows striking differences from the original work.

Twain copped to it in a letter to his publisher:

It is a thing which I manufactured by pasting a popular comic picture into the middle of a celebrated Biblical one -– shall attribute it to Titian. It needs to be engraved by a master.

We quote Twain here to prove two things:

  1. Twain was way ahead of the curve when it came to Photoshop.
  2. Great minds think alike.

As the Editor cannot stand to pass up an opportunity to collaborate with the great master, here, then, is our version of 'Titian's Moses'.

Mr Twain, it has been an honour.

Pre-Raphaelite Theatre Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

Mark Twain

01.04.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87789523

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more