Oddity Of The Week: NASA Fixes The Alphabet

1 Conversation

One of the many things about NASA we are grateful for.

NASA Fixes the Alphabet: 1956

The X-4 in flight in 1957.

What's that up there? Oh, just another NASA airplane. That one, the X-4, flew in 1957. Neil Armstrong was a test pilot, once. Astronauts have to start somewhere.

Among the many things NASA has given us – really cool pictures of the Earth, moon rocks, important weather data, Tang – we really have to be grateful for their phonetic alphabet, which was issued in March of 1956. Not only does the phonetic alphabet make airports safer, because pilots can understand clearly the designation of the runway, etc, but having a good phonetic alphabet will help you with your daily commute.

Suppose the missus is giving you instructions over the mobile. 'What, dear? Did you want a new can of ham, or a new brand of jam?' The phonetic alphabet below can protect your domestic bliss and your dinner. Study it. Once you've memorised it, take NASA's handy quiz. You'll be ready for a career in aviation – or the 5.04 from Victoria.

A – AlphaJ – Juliet S – Sierra
B – BravoK – KiloT – Tango
C – CharlieL – LimaU – Uniform
D – DeltaM – MikeV – Victor
E – EchoN – NovemberW – Whiskey
F – FoxtrotO – OscarX – X-Ray
G – GolfP – PapaY – Yankee
H – HotelQ – QuebecZ – Zulu
I – India R – Romeo

Want to know more about the history of this alphabet? Read The NATO phonetic alphabet. In the Edited Guide, of course.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

04.03.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87786427

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more