Sutton United FC

0 Conversations

A 105 year old football club based in Sutton, Surrey.

The U's, as they are known (U's being short for 'United'. Clever eh?) play in the Ryman Premier Division, a feeder league of the Nationwide Conference.

Formed in 1898, when 2 local sides, Sutton Guild Rovers and Sutton Association decided to merge, the U's have had a somewhat eventful and on the whole, very successful history. The team play in the unusual colours of Amber and Chocolate (Yellow and Brown if you like!), much to disgust of many opposing fans!

Their home is the Borough Sports Ground in Gander Green Lane. The clubs home since 1912, but it's mostly known by the name of the street it resides in than it's official title. As the name describes, it was once the local centre for sporting activity such as football and athletics. The remnants of the old cinder running track can still be seen on the edges of the pitch today.

Covered on 3 sides, the ground has a capacity of 7032 with 765 seats, but with it's layout originally designed to incorporate that running track (as mentioned above), you can sometimes feel a little distant from the action in places.

The U's have won plenty of silverware in their time, but their most famous moments have come in the worlds most famous knockout competition. The FA Cup. Not reaching the competition proper until 1960, they reached the 4tgh round 10 years later, drawing the then all conquering Leeds Unied. Their 11 internationals did the expected, winning 6-0 at the Borough Sports Ground in front of the clubs record attendance of 15000.

The U's next big cup experience came 18 years later when Bruce Rioch brought his then 2nd division Middlesborough to Sutton for a 3rd Round tie. The U's fought out a brave 1-1 draw before losing 1-0 late in extra-time in the replay at Ayresome Park. But more was to come the following year, in the 3rd round again, Sutton earned another home draw. This time Coventry City, sitting 5th in division 1 at the time, would be the visitors.

In one of the most famous FA Cup upsets ever, 8000 saw the U's shock their more illustrious opponents with a goal on half time from defender Tony Rains. The Sky Blues responded through Philips in the 2nd half, but Matthew Hanlan stole a winner on the hour and despite a frantic late bombardment, the U's hung on.

The reward? A 4th round hammering (8-0) at even higher flying Norwich City and an appearance on 'Wogan' for Hanlan and Rains!

The team have had 2 spells in the Conference (1986-90 and 1999-2000) but recently have found good form hard to come by. But with an excellent youth policy once again starting to bear fruit, more success can't be too far away!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A867855

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more