A Conversation for Great Golf Courses

Sunset Golf Course, Middletown, Pennsylvania

Post 1

Jimi X

It's the only golf course I know of which overlooks a toxic waste site *and* the site of the worst commercial nuclear power accident in US history.

That's right... Three Mile Island is just a mile or so away from the golf course. It's also in the flight path for Harrisburg International Airport so you'll occasionally have planes fly close overhead as they approach to land...

...It's actually pretty impressive to hear the sound of the wind swirling around over your head minutes after the plane has passed, convincing you that any ball you hit will wind up in France.

And on the first hole, there are actually airport approach lights in play in the fairway.

But despite its 'unique' location, this municipal golf course offers a lot of fun and it's very cheap ($24 weekdays and $28 weekends with a cart included).

It's challenging enough with some tight fairways, some elevation changes and one par 3 (#11) that hits over a small pond.

What they don't tell you is that there is a ball magnet under the water's surface and after two years of playing there, I've yet to successfully clear the water there. It's almost become a running joke with my playing partners that I'll put one in with the fishes...


Their website is at http://www.sunsetgc.com


Key: Complain about this post

Sunset Golf Course, Middletown, Pennsylvania

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more