A Conversation for Great Golf Courses

Portal/North Portal Golf Course

Post 1

Barneys Bucksaws

This is a 9-hole golf course in North Portal, Saskatchewan and Portal, North Dakota. The first 8 holes are in North Portal, and the 9th hole and club house are in Portal.

A ball hit to the 9th hole takes an hour to land. The reason is, Saskatchewan doesn't go on Daylight Saving Time, but North Dakota does. So, if you hit a ball, for example at 8:00pm, its 9:00pm when it lands on the 9th green. There is no visible border crossing, just a gravel road, so you can buy American or Canadian beer and cigarettes at the golf club.

One night a week is Men's night - Golf and steak for a reduced price, and the women get the same deal another night. Membership is really inexpensive. Being in a small town, people drive their golf carts from all over town to go to the course.


Key: Complain about this post

Portal/North Portal Golf Course

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more