A Conversation for The Barn Owl in the UK

Saw a Barn Owl.

Post 1

STRANGELY STRANGE ( A brain on a spring )

I was very lucky to have seen my first ever Barn Owl a week ago.
I was staying in a cottage in Sussex not far from coast and happend to be in garden and saw a white(ish) flash across the field. I first thought it was a gull but realised it was creamy coloured so grabbed my 10x50 binoculars and was overjoyed to see a Barn Owl feeding along the hedgerow for half an hour.
You could see its heart shaped face looking around as it hovered around 20 feet from ground then dived and caught several what looked like mice and flew back to a tree with its catch in its claws.
Sadly I was only there for a couple of more nights and went into garden around 8pm each night but only saw it make one more flight along headrow.
It was a truely great sight to see a Barn Owl acting as nature intended, they have great beauty, had I not by chance bought my first pair of binoculars only days before I expect I would have missed it.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Barn Owl in the UK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more