A Conversation for Opus Dei

Opus Dei

Post 101

andrews1964

Hello Joyika!
smiley - smiley
Apologies for the delay... Opus Dei has been in the news again, thanks to Cardinal Bertone's condemnation of the Da Vinci Code: that meant journalists' questions for me here in the Opus Dei information office in London, which is where I work, so it's been busy here.

Opus Dei is an organisation of the Catholic church, and its aim is to give spiritual formation to people, its members and other people, who live in the midst of the world (as opposed to, say, a monastery or convent) to help them to attain holiness. The formation comes in the form of cycles of talks, seminars, retreats, and spiritual guidance, and whatever other means its members think up. The members try to do their own work as well as they can ("with human perfection", its founder said), and turn it into an offering to God. This applies to whatever work they do, as they hold down normal jobs as anyone else. So also with the work in the home, family life, social life, etc.

Most of this formation is given by lay people. There are also priests in Opus Dei. Most lay members are married, but there are some who are celibate, of which I am one.

There is a website at www.opusdei.org.uk, but the best information available on the web about Opus Dei is a booklet at www.geocities.com/info_opus_dei/opus-dei-en.htm - this is quite detailed.

There's loads of press at the moment! Apart from the Da Vinci Code, there was the parish in London recently entrusted to Opus Dei, the confirmation by the Education Secretary that she receives support from Opus Dei, comments about the supposed influence in the Vatican during the Pope's recent bout of ill-health, etc.

I think Opus Dei's influence is systematically exaggerated. Curious visitors to centres of Opus Dei are quite disappointed not to find them staffed by albino monks. The road where I live, Orme Court, had its sign stolen for a while presumably because it features in the book. So it's a bit like the Abbey Road round here.
smiley - smiley


Opus Dei

Post 102

Joyika

Dear Andrew S

Cheers 4 that. Incidentally, do u think this Cardinal making all the noise about the Da Vinci code is going to be the new Pope????

Joyika smiley - biggrin


Opus Dei

Post 103

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

smiley - footprints


Opus Dei

Post 104

andrews1964

Hi Joyika!
It's always possible: Bertone is one of the cardinals sometimes mentioned by the journalistic corps in Rome. Other more frequently suggested candidates include Ratzinger, Arinze, Tettamanzi, Rodriguez Madariaga (that's two surnames for one person), Schoenborn, and a few others. But although there are a number of 'papabile' cardinals - or because of it - I don't think there's any clear favourite.
smiley - smiley
Also, Pope John Paul II could last a while yet. He's clearly ill, but he could get his voice back: the tracheotomy is only supposed to be temporary. And he has had two books published in the last year, four encyclicals the year before that, etc.


Opus Dei

Post 105

Joyika

Dear Andrew S

Hope u well. Just replying to say I know a bit about tracheostomies, having done a few as an E.N.T. surgeon, and I think the one in the Pope is going to be permanent. This isn't a problem at all, in fact it would be better if it stayed as he could breathe a lot easier. The only problem is speaking, but there are ways around that now as you can get tracheostomy tubes with valves.

Does he have to pass away before a new Pope is elected / chosen, or can they make arrangements before. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Joyika


Opus Dei

Post 106

andrews1964

Hi Joyika

A Pope is free to relinquish his office, but it's very unusual. I don't think any Pope has resigned over health. Within the first few centuries AD it is said that a couple of Popes resigned because they were condemned to be executed (this was the era of the catacombs) and they wanted to allow time for a successor to be appointed. At the time of the great schism (1378-1415) when there were three claimants to the Papacy, all three resigned to allow fresh elections and a new Pope was appointed. One of the three who resigned was presumably the old Pope. And Pope Celestine V famously resigned because he felt he wasn't up to it (he was later canonised).
smiley - smiley


Opus Dei

Post 107

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

I am just jumping in here to say that I have just heard on the radio that the Pope has received the Last Rites (Extreme Unction).

The director of the New Zealand Catholic Communications office is in Rome, and she was being interviewed by phone.


Opus Dei

Post 108

andrews1964

Yes, it looks very serious.


Opus Dei

Post 109

Joyika

Dear Andrew S

Well, a lot has happened since I last wrote.........The Pope has died, Monaco's ruler has died, an earthquake has occured..........we live in troubled times.

What say you???????

Joyikasmiley - teasmiley - sadface


Opus Dei

Post 110

andrews1964

Hi Joyika
smiley - smiley
It seems a long time since the end of last week! I feel the loss of the Pope, but it had to happen sometime, and there will be another. On occasions like this I find myself speaking in cliches...

I think our times are objectively 'troubled', but from the subjective point of view maybe 'interesting' is a more positive gloss (or spin). There have certainly been worse times to witness.


Opus Dei

Post 111

Joyika

Dear Andrew S

Yeah, times have been worse. Anyway, it's good to see a lot of people going to the Vatican to pay their respects. I don't think any terrorist groups would think of doing anything........even they have some respect.

Laters

Joyikasmiley - cheerup


Opus Dei

Post 112

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

<< don't think any terrorist groups would think of doing anything........even they have some respect.>>

No, they couldn't, surely...


Opus Dei

Post 113

Joyika

It's been a while.........

Anyways I can see, as can the rest of the world, that there is a new Pope. I understand he is a hardliner, and a lot of people in America are not too impressed.

I personally hope he tries to strenghth ties between different religions

Any comments about what the new Pope will be like????????

Joyikasmiley - smileysmiley - biggrinsmiley - teasmiley - cool


Opus Dei

Post 114

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Congratulations, and long may Pope Torquemada II reign.


Opus Dei

Post 115

Joyika

Wattaray Bro

The new Pope is German............they r the nation of the future............England has been lost, in all it's past virtues..............yeah, babay

Da Joyika


Opus Dei

Post 116

Joyika

Hello babys

Watta I have 2 do to be a saint????????????

C'mon answer me .

Da Joyikasmiley - smileysmiley - biggrinsmiley - winkeye


Opus Dei

Post 117

andrews1964

Hi Joyika

Sorry 'bout the delay. I was unhappily submerged in files in the office; the only sign of life was a stream of bubbles floating to the surface.

To be a saint... well, you hafta to do your work well for a start, with the greatest perfection possible. And then do it from a desire of service, for God and others. An' you have to try to do this then all day, not just at work but also in everything you do.

That's a good start... I'm nowhere near it, mind. But I know people who are.
smiley - smiley


Opus Dei

Post 118

badger party tony party green party

Arent there miracles involved too? Or is that old hat now?

smiley - rainbow


Opus Dei

Post 119

andrews1964

Hello BB

To be canonised, yes, a couple of miracles need to be attributed to you after you have died. Unless you died a martyr, in which case that requirement is waived.

But during life I think ordinary heroism is all that's demanded, not miracles. Canonisation is in the hands of others, but they say most saints are not canonised: hence the celebration of "All Saints Day".
smiley - smiley


Opus Dei

Post 120

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

This is very interesting, Andrew! Do you know about whether Dorothy Day is in line for sainting? (I'd heard some people were in favour...)


Key: Complain about this post