Kyykkä, Karelian skittles game

1 Conversation



Game of kyykkä originates from Karelia1. Kyykkä is (normally) a team sport and related to all other skittles games around the world. Basic idea is to throw small wooden cylinders (kyykkäs) out of your own game square with stick (karttu) resembling baseball bat in appearance. Nowadays in Finland there are two distinct groups playing the game:
  • People having their roots in Karelia
  • Students using it as a reason for drinking beer
Please note that this set of rules is just one option, kyykkä typically had slightly different rules in every village, so change the number of kyykkäs, size of area, throwing distance or any other rule if you happen to feel like it.


Kyykkäfield


Any relatively hard based flat area with dimensions over 5 x 20 meters will do. Preferably it should be gravel surfaced. If you use asphalt, you'll feel sorry for your karttu (throw stick) and if you play on grass the grass owner will feel sorry for his grass. Field consists of two squares (5x5 meters) in both ends and of 5x10 meter area left between these two. The squares are called throwing- and game squares. Your throw square is opponent's game square and other way around.


Kyykkäs


Kyykkäs are 10 centimeters high wooden cylinders. Their diameter is 7-7,5 centimeters. In the beginning of the game kyykkäs are set up on the frontline of both squares. 20 equally spaced pairs on both lines and pair is piled on top of each other. Once knocked down the kyykkäs won't be uprighted.


Karttu


Karttu is the weapon used to knock kyykkäs down and out of the game square. It is made of wood and can be up to 85 centimeters long. Maximum diameter is 8 centimeters at the thickest point. There is no weight limit.


Throwing

In men's competition opening throw is made from 15 meters (behind your own throw square) and next throws from your own throw square (10 meters). Women open the game from 10 meters and move to 8 meters to continue. This means that women actually throw from front of of the throw square and not from inside it.


Style of throwing is absolutely free as long as you throw from your own throw square (women behind the 8 meter line). Just do not step on your opponents kyykkäs.


The game itself

Kyykkä can be played in teams of four or two. Singles competition also exists, but normally kyykkä is considered to be a team sport. In team competition every player has two karttus per round. In singles competition player has four karttus per turn.

All the players throw their karttus before turn is handed over to the other team. Karttus must be left where they stop until all members of the team have thrown theirs.

Basically the winner is the team that gets all of their kyykkäs out of their game square first (clearing can be mady in any direction), but both teams have right to throw equal number of karttus. This means that if the team that started the game clears the square first, the other team gets as many karttus as the first team used in their last round. If team number two doesn't need all of these karttus to clear their own square they win, if they clear their square with the same number of karttus the game is a tie and if they don't clear their square they lose.

If there are just two teams playing, game goes on until either one of the teams has won certain number of sets/ends. Number should preferably be agreed upon before the game starts. Teams change squares between ends. With more than two teams it is normal to play tournament, where every team plays two sets/ends against all other teams. In this game format winner gets 2 points, tie brings 1 and losing 0 points. After all the games are played the winner can be determined by counting all the points together.


Optional rule to make game quicker


If you want to speed the game up a bit you can agree that teams throw for example just 20 karttus per end. After all the throwing is done, winner is found by counting the kyykkäs left in teams' game squares. Every kyykkä inside game square is worth -1 point and every kyykkä left standing on the front line is -2 points. Note that in this game mode team can lose even if it clears more kyykkäs out of the game square. Of course if team clears the square before karttus end, it wins the game.


Kyykkä etiquette

Outfit is free, but recommended.

Don't take the game too seriously.

It is an offence to show up without beer/cider etc., because this means that your going to take the game too seriously.


Do it yourself kyykkä kit


For the easy do it yourself kyykkä kit you'll need following incredients:
  • 80 empty 1/3 liter beer cans (soft drink cans work as well)
  • Sand
  • Duct tape
  • Plastic/aluminium or what ever pipe

Put some sand into cans. Just remember that heavier cans/kyykkäs make the game more difficult. Close the cans with duct tape. If you're planning to play more than one or two sets, make sure that you have spare cans to replace those too heavily damaged. Pipe is cut into 8 pieces 80-85 centimeters long. Try to find pipe that weigths about the same as equally sized piece of wood. If the pipe chosen is too ligth it wont move kyykkäs around and if it is too heavy you cant throw it 10 meters in a controlled manner. Pipe doesn't have to be completely rigid, it doesn't matter if it bends slightly when thrown.

Of course you can make your own set from wood but that takes more time and effort. This set will give you basic idea of the game and if you like it or not. And at least you'll have the pleasure to empty all the cans needed for the set.

1Karelia is a province split between Finland and Russia

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A844940

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more