Beginners Guide to Mean, Mode and Median

4 Conversations



An average summarises a group of numbers. There are three main types of averages: mean, mode and median. These will be looked at in turn.

Mean


This is the most commonly used average. The mean is calculated by taking the sum of the numbers in a sample and dividing that by sample size. This is the only type of average that takes into account all the numbers in the sample.
Example - Here is a sample of numbers:

1,2,2,2,3,3,4,6

The first thing to do is add the numbers up. In this case, the result is 23 .

All that is left to do is divide this number by the sample size. In this case, we are dividing 23 by 8 and we get the result 2.875 .
Potential Problems - Mean averages have two linked problems:
  1. If you have a large number of small values with a few very large values in your sample, mean averages get skewed: the mean is nearer to the bigger values even though the small values are more numerous. If you have a few small values and a few large values, the mean average can get skrewed this way too.
  2. If you have one, or more, outlying values that do not follow the general trend of the numbers in a sample, the mean average can be affected more dramatically than intended.
Example of the Effect of Outliers - For this example, I will take the other sample and add the number 100 into it:

1,2,2,2,3,3,4,6,100

The sum of these numbers is 123. If we divide this by the sample size - 9, we get 13.6666(recurring) which does not represent the earlier numbers.


Mode


This type of average is the common number in the sample. Where Mean has problems with representativity, mode focuses on the most common numbers and gives less or no attention to less common numbers.
Example - We'll take another sample of numbers here:

1,2,2,2,3,3,4,6

The mode here is 2 as it appears 3 times. Note: If there are two numbers which are equally common in the sample, then you take both as the mode.
Potential Problems - Mode is less useful when you have a lot of values that are close together but have not been rounded to the nearest whole number. This means an inacurate mode of the numbers will be taken. It would be better in this example to round the numbers first before using mode.

Median


This type of average is the middle number in a sample and requires the numbers to be in order.
Example - Here is another sample of numbers:

4,2,2,6,3,3,1,2

To use the median, these numbers need to be in order. So here they are ordered:

1,2,2,2,3,3,4,6

Here the median is 2.5 . It comes out as this because there is a even sample size here. Therefore there is no middle number. To work out the median, you need to take the 2 and the 3 which are the middle numbers and get the mean of them - which is 2.5 .

With an odd sample it is much easier: you just take the middle number as the median.
Potential Problems - One problem with using median is that it requires the numbers to be put in order first. For a large set of numbers, this can be extremely labourous and tiring.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A843248

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more