Search Engines

2 Conversations


Search engines are one of the two main types of websites used for finding sites on the web - Directories being the other. They work by crawling the web and indexing the contents into their databases.

Here are some of the features to look out for:
Boolean Searching - Using + or - signs before search terms allows tight control on the results sent back to your browser. The minus sign allows you to omit a term so if that term appears on a page that page will not be shown or not be given a high priority. The plus sign allows you to force the search engine to give priority to sites containing that word or omit sites that don't contain it. Beware: Sites deal with your terms differently and so these signs may be totally irrelevant in some.
Search by Field - This allows the user to specify where the search terms should be on the page to get high priority or be included in the results. This could be to mean that the term must be in the title of the page or as part of the url address.
Exact Quotation Searches - Using double quote marks in some search engines will allow the user to make sure the terms are in the exact right order and are together. This can be useful if a search provides a lot of irrelevant results which contain the terms but not in the relevant order.
Natural Language Searching - This allows the user to type in a search query in the form of a english question. This is useful when you are looking for specific information and don't want to spend too long finding it. Ask Jeeves was the first site to use this feature.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A842311

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more