You could simply not post rubbish

1 Conversation


Something which Sean Sollé did say in a certain thread here in h2g2.com in response to something Ginger said about how the sorts of things usually said fleetingly in chat forums on the Internet was presently "clogging up" the message boards.

Ginger later told Sean to get a life, to which Jim Lynn pointed out Sean is one of the Powers That Be and Ginger should really behave herself. Then Jan* pointed out that we already have a chatroom thingy but just not directly through the h2g2.com thingy. Then Jim the Wonder Llama completely failed to not be seen and although all hell didn't break loose, it was a vaguely uninteresting moment in the brief history of h2g2.com and certaintly this entire affair is not worth even mentioning, much less writing an entire user page about.


Which brings me to why I felt it necessary to bring this up in the first place. One individual's rubbish is another's royal flush. There is a reason why NOTHING is deleted here at h2g2.com. Someone will find slack in something here, and no two people will find slack from the same things.


Some believe that what scrolls by in a chatroom is pointless drivel. Someone appears in the chatroom, and there's a page and a half of this...


STEVE98: hello
ELANE57: hi steve
CHARL62: hello steve!
SUZIE29: hidy
DUMMY00: what's up?
STEVE98: howzit?
DUMMY00: lol
ELANE57: nothin'
CHARL62: well I gotta go
STEVE98: nothing here either
ELANE57: see ya charles!
SUZIE29: bye charles!
CHARL62: bye!


...before any sane person realizes this isn't chat. This is inane, repetitive drivel. What some would equate to be rubbish.


But what is rubbish and what is not? Is this very user page rubbish to you? Is it a waste of your time? Will someone else find it entertaining? Will yet another find it enlightening? Will yet still another find a booger in their nostril? And so on and so on.


It has been explained elsewhere that a chatroom is not only fleeting, but inane, whereas one generally puts more thought into their communiques if they are aware there is more of a permanence to their statements. Message boards encourage more intellectually stimulating combinations of words. Supposedly, chat does no such thing.


Should there be some sort of guidelines set up in which certain rubbish is not posted here? Should the Powers That Be feel free to delete any page they feel does not ascribe to their guidelines for proper communication?


If some such 'guidance' is not placed in the near future, h2g2.com will become filled with a large amount of inane rubbish. It is inevitable.


Also, since to some people something is rubbish while to other people something is not rubbish, at any one time there is a fifty fifty chance that accumulatively, everything in h2g2.com is at least 50% rubbish.


Personally, I think everyone shoul just embrace the rubbish and post as much rubbish as possible. The more the better. However, we don't need to have a chat feature directly INSIDE h2g2.com, because then the inane rubbish would not be captured for all eternity, and we would never achieve that fateful day when h2g2.com becomes THE BIGGEST WORLDWIDE COLLECTION OF THE RESULTS FROM THOUSANDS OF MONKEYS BANGING ON THOUSANDS OF KEYBOARDS UNTIL THE END OF TIME!


[ Note: To further confuse you, please see Sarcasm. ]

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A84197

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more