Tenets of the Baha'i Faith Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Tenets of the Baha'i Faith

4 Conversations

Bahá'í is a religion based on the teachings of a man called Bahá'u'lláh (1817 - 1892). Bahá'ís believe that Bahá'u'lláh is the final link in a chain of prophets that include other religious figures as diverse as Moses, Zoroaster and Jesus, all in connection with a single God. The Bahá'í believe that there is only one God and that the deities of other religions are all manifestations of this same God. Bahá'í is one of the fastest-growing religions worldwide. At the time of writing, its followers number some five million people.

This Entry will focus on the fundamental principles associated with the Bahá'í faith.

The Principles of Bahá'í

A Bahá'í is a person who believes that it is everyone's individual right and responsibility to investigate truth for themselves. Bahá'ís believe that this search, when conducted independently and with an open heart, will inevitably lead to the identification of more commonality and unity in all humans.

The Oneness of Humankind

Regardless of cultural differences, which are invariably respected by Bahá'ís, humanity is considered to be of one common origin. This is not a creation theory so much as a belief in a collective consciousness and that, regardless of beliefs and opinions, 'we're all in this together'.

The Independent Investigation of Truth

Bahá'ís recognise no living human beings as the ultimate interpreters of truth. A Bahá'í believes that each individual human being has the right and the capacity to find the truth of their soul and life and a purpose for themselves, within their individual ability. Bahá'ís neither participate in nor wish to encounter fanaticism of any flavour and will disassociate themselves from religious argument, preferring discussion leading to the uncovering of common ground rather than the anger of a heated disagreement.

The Common Foundation of All Religions

Bahá'ís believe in a 'personal God', an omniscient divine presence to whom they are individually accountable. They believe that He always has a plan for them. Bahá'ís call this belief 'Progressive Revelation' — one God throughout the history of humankind has sent emissaries, messengers and prophets to the various tribes, groups and nations of people, in accordance with the needs of their time and environment. These could include prophets, such as Elijah or Mohammed, that are also recognised by other religions. A Bahá'í will assert that the spiritual teachings of all of these messages, delivered by manifestations of God, follow the same thread, whereas the 'social teachings' of these sets of messages are particular to the people, place and time of their revelation.

The Essential Harmony of Science and Religion

Essentially, this is the belief that science and religion must agree, or else one of them is wrong. That is not to say that Bahá'ís believe that the proofs of religion outweigh those of science. Bahá'ís shun superstition; while they accept the possibility of miracles, they believe that miracles are for the benefit of those who witness them and are not necessarily relevant to anyone else's experience of being.

The Equality of Men and Women

A Bahá'í believes in the analogy of men and women as the two wings of one bird; humanity: if either is stronger than the other, the bird's progress will be awkward and skewed. Special attention is given by Bahá'ís to the education of women, as the mothers of future generations, as they might not otherwise receive equal educational opportunities.

The Elimination of Prejudice

This is perhaps the most challenging principle to uphold today. A true Bahá'í will challenge prejudice at every turn and make every effort to remain apart from manifestations of bias against any race, gender or nationality.

A Spiritual Solution to Economic Problems

While every Bahá'í believes in making a meaningful contribution to society — and rewards for individual exceptional efforts are not at all discouraged — Bahá'ís believe in ensuring equal access to individuals to earn their own livelihood. Where this is not possible or where disability or other disadvantage is present, Bahá'ís believe in a world where the wealthy will willingly provide for the needs of the disadvantaged. Bahá'ís strive towards the realisation of this state of being.

A Universal Auxiliary Language

Bahá'ís believe in ensuring the effectiveness of communication and sharing between all people. They hope that, in addition to their own local language, children will choose to learn another universal language, to ensure the global effectiveness of communication.

Universal Peace

Bahá'ís believe that world peace is not only possible, but inevitable. Bahá'ís follow the belief that when individual citizens of the planet collectively find their voice, world peace will be chosen over greed-mongering and supremacist devastation. Bahá'ís follow principles and guidelines that respect and honour the diversity of our various cultures and histories, striving through this to highlight our shared responsibility for the health of our shared soil.

Bahá'ís do not proselytise, so you will not find them on street corners or knocking on doors. Bahá'ís can be found most often in mixed groups of various backgrounds, promoting global healing and understanding and advocating unity, respect and freedom.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A8378616

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more