Gayndah, Queensland, Australia Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Gayndah, Queensland, Australia

0 Conversations

Gayndah is 336 km (202 miles) north-west of Brisbane in Queensland, Australia. Founded in 1849, and with a current population (at the time of writing) of around 2000, it is now the oldest town in Queensland, all older settlements having flourished and turned into cities. It is believed Gayndah was named after the Aboriginal word meaning 'thunder'.

After some 40 years of trying, locals finally figured out that sheep farming was not the way to go and an enterprising chap named William Seeney planted 106 orange and mandarin trees, and a thriving industry was born. Gayndah, citrus capital of the known universe - well, Queensland, at least - now celebrates a biennial Orange Festival in odd numbered years, featuring a grand parade down the main street, orange eating contests and the obligatory Festival Queen. For many years the symbol of the Gayndah Orange Festival and the citrus industry itself was 'Gay Dan the Orange Man'. However, changes to the meaning of the word 'gay' have forced him into early retirement. Gayndah is also home of the Big (but not very impressive) Orange - a fibreglass structure, shaped and painted like an orange, housing the local tourist information service.

And For the Thrill Seekers...

Gayndah has also had a fair share of excitement over the years. In 1865, bushranger 'The Wild Scotsman' held up the town and in the 1970s the film, The Mango Tree, was shot there. That's about it really. Rumours of another film soon to be shot in the area have the locals weak with anticipation.

Most recently, in 2001, Gayndah shot to fleeting national notoriety with sightings of the 'Gayndah Bear', a mythical bear-like creature similar to the yeti or bunyip.

If tracking the Gayndah Bear is not your idea of fun you can always try visiting one of the three pubs - The Grand, The Burnett and, of course, The Golden Orange. There is also a cinema and a very good museum featuring an 1860's cottage and an excellent collection of working farm equipment.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A833401

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more