A Key to "Are we Anywhere Near it?"

0 Conversations

I am writing this key because there might be some things contained in this story that will confuse. In fact, there are some things which are amusing and that might not be seen because you, the reader, do not know me. I believe that there would be a sort of quasi-inside-jokes.

1*: Originally, there was giberish that was supposed to be chanting. However, the moderators removed it.
2*: This was a recurring word in the chanting.
3*: Spelt phonetically.
4*: Ears.
5*: An exclamation in Gibberish.
6*: I decided not to put any proper names (Id est: John, Sark et cetera) into the story.
7*: Bassically, he realises that he will have to eat himself out of the jell-o.
8*: A Beatles allusion.
9*: A very large unit of measurment. I believe it is from the Earth to the Sun.
10*:"Et" is the past tense of the verb "To Eat". And the sentance is there for lack of any thing better to put. Also, it rhymes.
11*: This bit is in the past and present tense.
12*: Latin for helper.
13*: This word has a slightly interesting story behind it. I had thought I'd invented it only to find out that it had been put into the book Finnegans Wake by James Joyce more then fifty (50) years prior to my inventing it. But, since I like it, I use it quite often. As of yet, it has no discernable meaning.
14*: More Latin; the translation of which is The All-Mighty All-Powerful, All-potent, and so on, , that is, God.
15*: If you put that sequence of letters (the alt+0246 forms a character), you will find that it makes a word whose English translation is Bear and is an identity used on Ithica.
16*: These are supposed to be check-marks.
17*: Latin: b******s.
18*: My ussage of Scottish Brogue. Na: Not. Dinna: Do not. Ken: Know.
19*: Allusion to the play "Flowers for Algernon" based on the book of the same title. Also made into a film called "Charlie".
20*: German: Naturally.
21*: This is to represent, in a written manner, the muttering noices some times heard when and accossiated with when a person is wrong and they are wont to admitt it.
22*: German: Thank you.
23*: 201.168 meters or 220 yards or 660 feet.
24*: Very well. I'll do it.
25*: The maximum rate of decent on the Earth.
26*: 2 o'clock post meridiam (p. m.)
27*: German: For my.
28*: Found.
29*: French: Night.
30*: Some thing upon.
31*: French: Found on the street, a small kiwi. If it belongs to you, please contact us at: (514) 635-6363. Thank you for your co-operation. Post Scriptum: If it does not belong to you, please, do not contact us! Thank you again for your co-operation.
32*: German: My.
33*: French: "Hello? Yes, hello?"
"Yes, here is the person who lost his kiwi. You have it, Madam?"
"Euh, yes indeed. You can get it to-morrow. We live at: 63 Rue Peel."
"Good. Can I get a piece of paper?"
"Sure." she said to me. When I thought of that, I thought of the song 'Whistle on the Hill' by Joe Dassin. "I am back. Could you give me your address again?"
"Yes. It's 63 Peel street. Do you need directions?"
"Yes, Madam. Please."
34*: Asked.
35*: Aha! I knew it!
36*: Allusion to a song seen on a multi-national channel on the telly.
37*: The amount of time in two days.
38*: I said.
39*: Allusion to the sound the character F makes in the 'Prequil to Dune Trillogy'.
40*: Allusion to the movie "2001: A Space Oddessy".
41*: Allusion to the movie "The Truman Show".
42*: I leave this one to you, the reader. Why? Because I was too close to 42 to let it go. So, if you find some thing worthy, I'll add it.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A790797

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more