A Conversation for The World's Best Campsites

St Martins, Isles of Scilly

Post 1

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

This is the campsite on the island of St Martins on the Isles of Scilly, where we always stay. To get there you get the ferry/helicopter/plane to St Marys (the main island), and then the small off-island boat to St Martins. You can send all your luggage by the Scillonian (ferry from Penzance to the Islands) and it'll be transferred to the right off-island boat for you - if you label it well! the only condition is that someone has to be on the boat to St Martins with it.
The campsite owners are Chris and Chris Saville, and they meet the boats from St Marys with a tractor to pick people up. The Campsite is near the western end of the island, three large fields right next to the beach, and within easy distance of the quays, restaurants (the hotel and the guest house), shops (post office/store, bakery, and a grocer/local store) and the pub.
You can't hire tents, but they have a fantabulous barn where you can get things you might need - meths, camping gaz, bbq stuff, eggs, tomatoes, books for loan (it's where I first picked up a Douglas Adams book...), and where you can freeze ice packs for cool boxes. You can also get fresh (and I mean straight out of the cow fresh) milk from them at the farm house, you can order it to be there morning and/or evening when you arrive.
The on-site facilities are great, plenty of bins, water-taps, and spotless toilets and showers (50p, and long) and has just got laundry facillities.
Things to do - the beach obviously, it's the perfect place to go and unwind and take that huge pile of books you've been meaning to read for ages. You can visit the other islands, stroll around, go snorkelling, diving, fishing, sailing, wind-surfing, shell collecting, bird-watching, eat a lot, visit the artist Sue Lewington in her gallery (I think she's still on St Martins) and in the evenings go and watch the cricket/gig rowing.
If you're wanting to go in July and August it's very advisable to book well in advance as they have quite a few regular campers who will go for the entire school holidays.


St Martins, Isles of Scilly

Post 2

Fate Amenable To Change

This is an atrocious idea!! I'm not telling everyone about my fave campsite, it'll be full of people next year and a total nightmare instead of a glorious retreat!!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more