A Conversation for The World's Best Campsites

Mill Park, North Devon, England

Post 1

PQ

We stayed at this ( http://www.millpark.co.uk ) campsite three years running, the fourth year we stayed at a site with a swimming pool/petting zoo/scuba lessons etc etc - after a week we returned to our usual site because we woke up every morning in mist and fog and got down to the town to find blazing sunshine. This place is forever in my memory as fantastic - there is a rope slide/swing running over the stream that flows through the site - I've spent hours on that swing and in the stream as well.

We would wake up each morning to the sound of the duck quacking and waddling their way through the site trying to eat tent ropes on route. Their is a full size lake (supposed to be for fishing) on site and the number of rabbits/ducks/geese/other wildlife is fantsatic - especially when coupled with the glorious location. This site is so sheltered it can be raining almost everywhere but get back to your tent and it is blazing sunshine.

It is also within walking distance of one of the nicest coves in devon (although admittedly it is shale not sand), just walk back to the main road (through the woods) across and up the track on the other side, past another campsite (with all the facilities but bad weather and terracing that is not fun to come across in the middle of the night on the way to the loo) and down approximately 390 steps (thats why the beach is so private). I've got photo's of this beach and every one is always amazed it is in devon and not somewhere more exotic, the cliffs and the vegetation are wonderful - there is also a peninsular/island (depending on the tide) that you can climb up to fairly easily. The only thing to watch out for is the tide - it doesn't come in too fast but we've had to end a few trip wading through the surf back to the steps.

Back to the campsite which has everything you would expect - plenty of toilets/showers (inc free hot water) and lots of proper sinks for washing up. The small shop has all the basics and they will refreeze your freezer packs for free if you write your name on them. Anything else you need can either be bought from the village shop (I hope it is still there) in Berrynarbor or by shopping in Ilfracombe or Combe Martin (down the coast in each direction). The site is also within walking distance of Watermouth Castle - a great day out (last time we visited one of our guests ended up panning for Gnold in the Gnomes Stream (she was 16 at the time and had only ever been on holiday to spanish resorts)).

It has been too long since I last visited (almost 10 years) but from looking at the website not much has changed. I'm currently working on pursuading my other half that camping is a good idea (he's not quite convinced yet but I'll get there) - this is solely so that I can have another go on the swing over the stream (we managed to get five kids on it so it should take my weight).


Key: Complain about this post

Mill Park, North Devon, England

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more