A Conversation for Diabetes - a Personal Perspective

Diabetes Feedback

Post 1

Global Village Idiot

I can see why you're passionate about this, and keen to get your article live - wouldn't it be cool if someone's life was actually saved thanks to a quick-witted researcher who had read you page?

I'm fortunate enough not to be diabetic - yet. I have family history and I'm overweight, so I know the odds are against me. I don't think things for my family and friends who are sufferers are quite as bad as you make it seem - these modern "pen-style" injectors and mini testing kits seem to make life with the illness about as bearable as could reasonably be expected. But then I don't have to live with it.

Good luck anyway with getting it accepted this time. I hope they don't quibble too much over style points because the important thing is the energy, which comes across really well.

All the best


Diabetes Feedback

Post 2

Researcher 25958

Hi,

I am glad your not a Diabetic, and as for you family well I'm glad as you put it they don't have it as bad as me !, Actually I think you misunderstood me , I don't see my Diabetes as a problem , It is other peoples ideas of what my Diabetes must be like. As I said I am not disabled by the Diabetes, only by peoples fears and ignorence which says I am disabled. I can lead a near normal life, I have no chip on my shoulder, and consider myself lucky, Besides which my Consultant and his Team are wonderful ( Dr R Gregory at Leicester General Hospital ) .
My Wife had a much worse experience than me ( the stories of how we both became Diabetics to come ), and even she does not feel disabled, her mum died of the complications of Diabetes due to fear and ignorence, Anyway come back again, wait for new pages, and the best of luck, But please don't be afraid, Diabetes is only aproblem if you let it be, or if you want it to be !!!


Diabetes Feedback

Post 3

SMURF

How very true. My gran developed diabetes as she got older. I believe this is more common than people think. BUt I don't dwell on that. Life is just too short to get worried about something that may never happen to you. Diabetes can be controlled very well and as long as you are sensible and make sure people around you are aware of the problems that could arise, such as appearing drunk and needing some sugar, then there is no need why anyone with the condition cannot lead a "normal" and active life.

The important thing is not to let life get you down, no matter what it throws at you. As long as you have a supportive family and friends, and good medical team if you need one, you can get through anything.

However, I can understand your frustration with society at large. I think this is because people tend to shut their eyes to things until they need to deal with it directly. I think attitudes are changing slowly and a persistent gently reminder can work wonders.


Diabetes Feedback

Post 4

Researcher 25958

I was in the kitchen concocting tonight cullinary delight, It contains the S word ! anyway appology for not replying quicker, Your right the Public do need just a gentle reminder, But believe it or not Medical /Nursing staff have the worst prejudice / lack of knowledge on current thinking ??? I have no problem with being diabetic , But like all such inconvenieces I want people to know more, especially the medical world !


Diabetes Feedback

Post 5

SMURF

I'm not sure what you mean really. I think people may be a little naive when they expect the medical proffesion to know everything about their specific case but I know that's not what you're getting at. I can appreciate doctorrs not having enough time to read all the literature but they ought to at least be able to tell the average person something new.

Thinking about it though, I suffer from a form of predjudice from the medical profession. I have asthma which suffers from people thinking they know lots abbout it when they don't. I don't think anyone outside my immediate family would know what to do if I ever had a serious attack. But I get the distinct impression that whenever I go to the doctor and mention it they are thinking "go away take your inhalers and you'll be OK. What are you wasting my time for it's only asthma?"

This can be quite annoying. For example, this time last year I was awaiting the birth of my son. On a regular checkup, i voiced my concern about how my asthma would be while giving birth and how any crisis may be dealt with. I was given the brush off as it was of no concern. But my fears were very real to me. I know my asthma better than anyone, and I'm sure it is the same for someone with diabetes.

While people are aware of risks for people with diabetes during pregnancy, all I got told was "You'll find your asthma won't cause you problems". Yes I, like many others, did detect a noticeable difference while pregnant, stress has always been a trigger for me so I felt I need to be reassured.

I've waffled on a bit haven't I? But yes like you I have accepted my conditions and what it means to me. I just wish other people would too.


Diabetes Feedback

Post 6

Researcher 25958

Your comments on prejudice to asthma suffera's from the medical profession are well recognised , it is very common , I am a nurse , in the private sector at the moment , In caring for elderly people with mental health problems , and often I nurse people with Diabetes, the attitudes to it from within the profession is astounding, and some of the opinions on treatment a diet are distinctly 16th century.

I don't have any objection to nurses having thier own opinions, but when Residents / Patients suffer bland , boring tasteless even tortuous diets , even when they have little time left , and not because of medical reasons, but purely refusal to keep uptodate or to accept methods long since proven .

Prejudice is one thing , But to withold one of few little pleasures without sound reasoning , is nothing short of cruel ! No health professional can be uptodate with every medical situation / condition but when they regularly come across a condion in the course of thier day to day work, they should attempt to keep abreast of latest thinking , and when a college who happens to be a well controlled Diabetic offers advice, Just maybe they should listen , and at least check and consider it.

This is not a one off, but a regular occurence amongst people who are otherwise very professional , But when will Nurses and Dr's start listening to Diabetics etc !


Diabetes Feedback

Post 7

SMURF

I think probably never. There seems to be an attitude amongst Drs in particular that they know best. They seem to forget that the person concerned knows their body better than anyone.

I find it funny how, for example, pregnant and new mums are told to listen to what their instincts are telling them yet the same professionals cannot apply this same thought to other conditions.

Also, with particular reference to care of elderly patients. My mum is a carer in a "Retirement Home" and she always has lots of stories about the indignities suffered by patients. I think there is a general lack of compasion for the elderly in this country. We really should try to make their last few days/weeks/months as comfortable and enjoyable as we can.

I agree with your comments about people who come into contact with conditions every day. But about the food, people seem to think that everyone who needs a special diet should put up with bland food and that is not the case at all. Money may be cited as an issue but you can make some very interesting meals on a budget. I know, I've had to do it as a student.


Diabetes Feedback

Post 8

Researcher 25958

I can echo your mums observations, and can quote many such situations, It's not always easy to maintain dignity , but as a "Carer" of any type / level you have to try Always !! Those in our care always deserve our respect.


Diabetes Feedback

Post 9

SMURF

I think it's important to remember that it is real people in your care. I can understand how it may be necessary to distance yourself, particulary if you have to see death a lot. But this doesn't mean they should be treated with less respect.

When my mum worked in a hosptial ward for the elderly, she would often come home upset by the death of a patitient. But what often made it worse was the patient being left in their bed with the curtains around them with other patients in the beds surrounding that cubicle. They would be waiting for someone from the morgue to collect the body. Mum said this made the other patients very depressed and it got worse the longer thay had to wait for the body to be collected.

This must have been awful for the patients and their relatives.


Diabetes Feedback

Post 10

Researcher 25958

Yes They are real , And death a real part of my work , In fact one of my specialities is helping relatives ( and staff ) to deal with bereavement , I have wanted for some time to set up a service to offer support to relatives after the death of a resident, My bosses won't let me , The resident is dead , no further money coming in , it's a waste of my time and thiers !!! Personally I feel it is all part of caring, I do tell the relatives they can call me at work anytime ! even if just for a chat .
My residents are at the end of the line of care, And recovery is not going to happen, It is my job therefore to ensure whatever time they have is as comfortable and dignified as possible , I believe caring for the relatives is a part of that !!


Diabetes Feedback

Post 11

SMURF

I think it can help the relatives a lot knowing that the patient is being cared for in a dignified manner. I think it can help prevent feelings of bitterness and guilt (a very important feeling in bereavement).

I think it is sad how the big guys in the care profession reguard it as a purely money oriented profession. I used to help out at a summer playscheme run by MENCAP when I lived in King's Lynn. Some of these kids had severe hralth problems. I got fed up with people at my school asking why on earth I was bothering with these kids. One even went as far as to say that children who are that severely handicapped should be "put out of their misery". I would have liked to see them say that to the child's parents!

Many of the children I worked with did not have long on this earth but the joy they brought was enormous and they, like everyone else, have the right to a dignified exhistence.


Diabetes Feedback

Post 12

Researcher 25958

BRAVO I can only echo your experiences and opinions , as example pushing a friend in a wheelchair , being asked "what's it's name " , My friend had an Msc in BioChemistry ,


Diabetes Feedback

Post 13

SMURF

I have always found it strange how people can assume that a person in a wheel chair has no level of intelligence and more importantly, can't answer for themselves. The only explaination I can think of is that people are embarrased and try to hide this. Unfortunately, it just makes the rest of us a bit mad.

When I was at school, we had to do something called Social Education. I always felt that it would be a good idea in these sessions for people with certain probelms, e.g.spinal injury or the parents of a child with Downs Syndrome say, to come in an give talks. Some of the kids in my class were just plain ignorant. However the teachers always seemed to think it wasn't a good idea. I never felt as if the y gave me an addequte explaination. Eight years later and my niece is having the same argument with the same teachers.

I consider myself very fortunate to have known some of the kids I did. I was deeply affected when any of them died and I always felt their parents were so strong. They said that it made them feel happy to know that someone else had loved their child as you can feel very lonely and that the whole world is against them.


Diabetes Feedback

Post 14

Researcher 25958

Well I don't suppose the world will ever be perfect , but if only people were more tollerant and aware of each others needs , it would go a long way towards it.


Diabetes Feedback

Post 15

SMURF

Agreed. Many of todays problems in todays society are caused by ignorance.


Diabetes Feedback

Post 16

Researcher 25958

Almost all problems result from ignorrence or greed !!!


Diabetes Feedback

Post 17

SMURF

I suppose. Many people complain that this is the case. When I look at myself and my sister, we are incredibly different in our outlooks. I think my sister suffers a lot from her ignorance and rather than correct it, she is happy to remain ignorant. I just could be like that. I enjoy finding out about other people, their cultures, problems and they way they veiw the world.

It makes me wonder how two people with the same parents and background can end up being so completely opposite about something like this. You would think it was fundamental to how we had been brought up. It was to some extent as my mum was always keen for us to know about differnent cultures. So, why has my sister chosen to live in ignorance? Surely it can't be the easiest route?


Diabetes Feedback

Post 18

Peta

Am going to come back here in a while - this will link to my page see you in an hour or so have to go to a seminar.....!


Diabetes Feedback

Post 19

Peta

Firstly I hope the page gets accepted. Secondly all the nice comments that you people have made shows there are some really nice people out there! smiley - smiley to you all!


Diabetes Feedback

Post 20

Researcher 25958

Thanks I really hope your Metabolic page also gets accepted , I am just a teeny bit fed up waiting to hear, O'h well no news is good news ? I have really enjoyed " Chatting " with you and Smurf , It is nice to be able to air our feelings on such subjects. I am also rather frustrated with the problems I have had writing Diabetes 2 , Having twice lost the data, I am also hampered by a very slow connection/system.
Anyway I am sure we wil all find much more to discuss, until then Regards from Researcher 25958 ( Kevin )


Key: Complain about this post