A Conversation for Classic Football Moments

Woking!

Post 1

The Ghost of Polidari

I'm going to have to throw in the 1990/91 FA Cup third round match between West Brom (then of the second - now first - division) and Woking FC (A682445) - who were at that point not even in the Football Conference. There were about 100 clubs between them in the league and the result was a foregone conclusion...

Anyway, to cut a long (well, 90 minute) story short, Woking won the match 4 : 2 in one of the great FA Cup upsets - the kind of result which makes the FA Cup the most interesting domestic trophy in the world. Highlight of the match was the great hat-trick from Tim Buzaglo, who's career was unfortunately ended shortly afterwards through injury. Woking went on to play First Division Everton in the next round, and were unfortunate to lose 1 : 0.

I didn't get to see the match (I was on a university trip playing badminton in Holland at the time), and I heard the result at about midnight while sat in the pouring rain in a mini-bus waiting for the weather to subside so they'd let us on the ferry. I think I managed to deafen the other 11 occupants when I heard the score...

Some people know where they were when Kennedy was shot, some know what they were doing when they heard about Princess Diana - I know where I was when I heard Woking had beaten West Brom in the FA Cup. It's a funny old world...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more