Greenville, North Carolina

1 Conversation

Whilst traveling about in North Carolina, it is highly likely one will wander near Greenville, which is only a few miles from Interstate 95.

The city of greenville is a college town, home to the not quite well known East Carolina University. It is important to note that the school football team's mascot is a not so cheery fellow by the name of Peety the Pirate, as this will help you understand the odd behaviour some of those you meet may exhibit. As well, armed with this seemingly insignificant fact, you might not be as suprised at the decor of the buildings you will encounter there.

The school itself reaches out through the entire city with it's towers of apparently higher learning as well as their polar opposites, the many frat houses. These are recognised by their shirtless denizens lounging about on rather shabby recliners in the front lawn.

Perhaps a far more notable feature of Greenville proper is it's large hospital. By large, I mean a building of such size and seizure inducing sprawl, that those who designed and built it surely became lost in it's bowels upon completion. It is advisable not to enter the hospital in Greenville at all, but if you must, wear dark glasses and listen to soothing music on a portable tape player, as it will make the process of becoming hopelessly lost much more pleasant.

The population is composed mainly of drunks, addicts and people who write papers on entirely uninteresting subjects. Outside of the college and the hospital, the population is composed mainly of drunks, addicts, and land developers. It is possible to carry on good conversations with the drunks.

That said, the nightlife in Greenville has never been wanting. A quick drive along Evans Street toward downtown will reward a happy traveler with a staggering number of places to either heighten one's awareness or completely destroy it. There are many clubs downtown, but the one in particular you are reccomended to visit is a mildly sleazy joint called Cafe' Carribe. There, one will find anything and everything ever discovered that will mix with alchohol without causing a nuclear chain reaction. The belief that none of the drinks served there will cause nuclear chain reactions is highly debatable.

For those travelers with more, adventurous, sexual orientations, there is a place for you in Greenville as well, called the Barcode, and it resides just off of Memorial drive. Those of you who are not into that sort of thing even when drunk have been warned. Those of you who are not into that sort of thing sober should be aware that it is not uncommon in that area to awake with five dollers in your hand and a sore posterior.

All this being said, I suppose dining should be mentioned at least in passing. It is possible to order a plate of shredded pig doused in vinager in many resteraunts in Greenville. This dish is normally served at room temperature or cold, and is called BBQ. Some people like this.

For everyone else, there are many chain resteraunts at which to dine that will more than satisfy a healthy appetite. The Sappari Japanese steakhouse is a fine example of such an establishment. There, you can watch an acrobatic chef cook your meal in front of you while he at once lights fires, juggles sharp, heavy, objects, and insults you from time to time.

All in all, Greenville can be a fun place to pass through. It is extremely advisable, however, to avoid leaving the main roads, especially while on foot, as Greenville's most notable feature of all is it's murder rate.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A7154822

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more