PSV Eindhoven - Football Club

0 Conversations

PSV Eindhoven



PSV1 is a Dutch sports club, located in the city of Eindhoven. It was founded by the company Philips on August 31st 1913 to allow it's employees to engage in all kinds of sports. It was also founded because at the time, allmost other sports clubs in Eindhoven, and indeed the rest of the South of The Netherlands, were Catholic based. As Philips employees came from all over the country, a non-religion based sports club became necesary. Today PSV still comprises of 19 different branches of sport (Pieter van den Hoogenband swims for the PSV swim team), but football is the largest branche.



The club has won 16 league championships, 7 cup finals, and 4 out of 5 'Johan Cruyff schalen', the Dutch equivalent to the Charity Shield2.

On the European level, PSV won the UEFA Cup in 1978 and the European Cup 1 (now know as the Champions League) in 1988.


Over the years, some great players emerged from Eindhoven. Either from the club's own youth teams, or from good scouting. There are ofcourse Ruud Gullit and Ronald Koeman, Romario and Ronaldo. A bit later people like Jaap Stam and Ruud van Nistelrooy reached great height on the pitch in Eindhoven.



For more info, check out the official PSV site, too bad it is only in Dutch...

1PVS stands for Philips Sport Vereniging, which means Philips Sports Club2The first official match of the season, featuring last season's League champion versus last season's Cup winner

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A670196

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more