A Conversation for Great Castles

Nemacolin Castle , Brownsville, Pennsylvania, USA

Post 1

Jimi X

Located on a hill in Brownsville, Pennsylvania that overlooks the Monongahela River, this 'castle' is really an old trading post located along the Nemacolin Trail. Jacob Bowman who also served as the area's first postmaster built the house and over the generations his family added to it.

A tour will show the three phases of construction, from the rough frontier-style trading post to the elegant Victorian rooms and the tower which were added in the 1850s.

The tour takes about an hour and is actually rather interesting as you walk through the rooms and see the changes in the family's fortunes and style over the years.

To get there take US Route 40 into Brownsville and follow the signs, the castle is located between Brashear and Front streets.

I don't recall how much a tour costs, but it isn't costly and all the proceeds go to the nonprofit Brownsville Historical Society which operates the castle. Tours are offered 11am to 5 pm Tuesday through Sundays during the summer.

One special event they do every year is an evening candlelight tour around Thanksgiving and Christmas.


Nemacolin Castle , Brownsville, Pennsylvania, USA

Post 2

Jimi X

And the building is listed on the Nationl Register of Historic Places.

smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post

Nemacolin Castle , Brownsville, Pennsylvania, USA

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more