A Conversation for Mental Health

Depression

Post 1

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

Greetings....

Congratulations on a concise, accesible and timely addition to The Guide.

I used to work for a childrens' activity holiday company, and some years ago a girl who was around twelve or so came to stay for a week or so. For the first few days, she appeared bright, happy and talkative with plenty to say for herself. She was popular with the other children and with the staff. Then in the space of a day she became quiet, introverted, demotivated, and finally unable to motivate to do anything except sleep so that the time would pass quicker. I subsequently found out from her parents that she was on Prozac or something similar for depression. She told me that she had run out of strength to cope with being away from home.

If, before I met her, I didn't really understand that depression was an illness, and not just weak will in the face of feeling "down" or miserable, I certainly did afterwards.

Best wishes to all


Otto.


Depression

Post 2

Cadi Merchionamercheluned

I suffered from depression for about three or four years due to a (mild) form of ME. I am almost completly better now and I'm sure that my relatively quick recovery was due to the help I had from my doctor, my friends and especially my Mam. I was on Prozac for 18 months, and it helped too, I'm certain.

Thank you for a clear, informative article about a subject that many are afraid to broach. If mental illness were better understood, much heartache could be avoided - and many of the silly, hurtful things that people say simply because they don't understand.

Before, when told to "cheer up" I used to cry. Now I just laugh - and give the offending cheerer a kick in the pants! smiley - winkeye


Depression

Post 3

deackie

Thanks both of you for the positive comments. I'm pleased the entry has succeeded in portraying the message I hoped it would.


Depression

Post 4

Chris M

Hi Deacks. I've posted a link to your article on a discussion I thought could use it. I'd appreciate your opinion on the matter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F55683&thread=154198

Congrats!

smiley - bubblysmiley - hug

Chris


Depression

Post 5

The Willem Love Collective

Congratulations, deackie! I read this entry of yours long ago already, and I'm sure I commented on it! It's really great! Anyways, I started two new 'mental health' entries on my space ... one on Schizophrenia, and the other on Dissociation. They're at the moment only collections of links, but I'll work at them as time goes by!


Depression

Post 6

The Willem Love Collective

Sorry! I see I'm still logged in as the WLC! No matter ... you may take that as the official approval of your article by the WLC if you like, deackie! I'm sure all the others will agree with me!

- Willem


Depression

Post 7

deackie

smiley - hug Thanks Willem, it's appreciated under any of your names smiley - smiley I've added my twopennith worth of opinion to the discussion on suicide that's linked up above.


Depression

Post 8

The Willem Love Collective

smiley - hug back for you! I'm checking out your comment right now!


Depression

Post 9

Mary Loo (Please come and see my nuclear power page A693362 thanx

smiley - hug


Depression

Post 10

the chameleon

Hi,
Does anyone have any ideas on how to better cope with depression when you have a very limited number of people around you and they aren't at all supportive? are there any books anyone can reccommend? is it worth contacting any recognised groups here in the UK?


Depression

Post 11

fluffynurse



what works for me is.......

medication

seeing a good therapist

having a purpose, for me it is my job and friends and family

and knowing when to stay stuff it and let myself have a day in bed!


Depression

Post 12

deackie

I definitely think it's a good idea to contact a support group. I think it's important to feel that you're not alone, that there are others with similar experiences and there are people who will listen to you without judging. Have you tried MIND?


Key: Complain about this post