A Conversation for Finger Food

Chicken drumsticks/wings

Post 1

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

One of the clasics. Which doesn't mean they have to be boring!

For plain chicken, just roast in the oven (following the instruction that will inevitably be printed on the packaging).

But you can easily make life a little more interesting by marinading the chicken first! Lay the chicken in a dish, and cover with the marinade! The longer you leave it before cooking, the more flavour the meat will absorb. At least 2 hours is recommended, overnight is much better! Ready made marinades are widely available, but I prefer to make my own.

Chinese style: Mix soy sauce, finely chopped ginger & garlic, shredded lemongrass, a little five spice powder, fresh chopped coriander (if you can get it). Optionally a little oyster sauce, sesame oil or sake may be added also.

Spicy: Chilli (dried flakes, powder or fresh chopped), powdered coriander seeds, tumeric, cumin, fenugreek, paprika, kaffir lime leaves (finely chopped), shredded lemongrass, chopped ginger & garlic, juice & zest of a lemon/lime. Mix with water/oil to get a thin paste. You could use curry paste instead of making your own, but this way is more fun! You could also add a little coconut milk to add more depth.

Sweet 'n' sour: Honey, a little sugar, zest & juice of lemon/limes, a little pineapple juice if desired.


During cooking, baste the chicken with the marinade a couple of times. It all helps to add flavour!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more