A Conversation for Finger Food

and for those of us in our studio audience who are.........broke/students

Post 1

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

then we need some cheap alternatives.

ok, so smiley - popcorn is cheap and ahs already been mentioned.

Pizza is good. Get those supermarket own brand value/economy tomato and cheese. put a bit of canned pinepple or something on it and cook. then slice it up small and neat. or.......make pizza useing your stale bread, left over pasta sauce, and that lump of cheese that's been in the fridge for six weeks. just grill the bread on both sides, then bung on the topping and grill a bit more.

anything on a cocktail stick with the rest of that can of pineapple.

get a french stick, (39p in the uk) and slice is at an angle about a centimeter thick, then smear with butter/mustard/ garlic puree/tomato puree.....you get the idea and bake them off in the oven or grill them.

a packet of crackers, again supermarket economy will do, you dont have to show people the wrapper. put a bit of cream cheese/phili etc on top the add a bit of salsa, yes, that stuff you dip doritoes in. it taste great especially if you kept it in the fridge.

a good tip for most savory things is to put a little bit of cress or a slice of cucumber on the top. it make it look less like an accident that these things ended up on this plate.

kitchen towel is just as good as serviets, and no one will care.

if you are planning ahead then it's worth remembering that cherry tomatoes are obscenly easy to grow, my dad manages, the seeds are cheap and they keep producing for quite a while. it's certainly better than giving the supermarket all your money. chives, mint and shallotts are also very easy to grow and all go well as and in finger foods.

FABT


and for those of us in our studio audience who are.........broke/students

Post 2

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Never underestimate the power of the freezer centre's own brand bags of 50 "cocktail sausage rolls" for 89p... That will usually fill a baking tray twice over! (Remember to leave room between them so they can expand...) 8)

Oh, and if you have a sandwich toaster, such as a "Breville", be creative... Buy one of those small, square packs of puff pastry, split it into four layers and use them instead of bread in the machine. You can fill them with anything - mince, vegetables, honey, cheese... (but preferably not all at once) and you'll end up with four fluffy triangular pasties! If you do a sweet filling, such as chocolate, you can cut them in half when they've cooled and put a squirt of frothy cream inside each half too... It looks like you spent a lot of kitchen time making a complicated dessert. smiley - biggrin


and for those of us in our studio audience who are.........broke/students

Post 3

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

good plan pete

if you have to oven on then you might as well add some grated cheese to that ouff pastry, cut it in strips and twist it. makes cheese straws, taste great hot or cold and give the impression you can cook

FABT


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more