Hurg

0 Conversations

Since the beginning of time, many people have speculated on the existence of the word hurg. Some see it as being metaphorical of the manifest problems of life itself. Others say it is simply a nonsense word. Only time will tell which of these factions is the correct one, but until the knowledge is given unto us, this entry will explain about the history of hurg, up to the present day.

The origins of hurg

The most famous and frequent usage of the word hurg is on Aglami1, and this is the variation of hurg that this article will focus on. However, it is worth remembering that hurg has been used (mainly as a tyop) on various other newgroups. This article will skim lightly over these, and the paragraph will terminate here.

Precursors to hurg


The hurg we know today was not always in this form. Pixel, the creator of hurg, is believed to have started out using 'huh' and then 'hurh' and eventually 'hurg'. Hurh seems to originate here, though Pixel still uses it occasionally.

Birth of a new word


Google Groups records Pixel's first usage of the word hurg as being on the 28th of December, 2000. No fanfare, just clear and typical use of the word hurg. The world rejoiced.

Hurg today

Although hurg originated with Pixel, in Aglami, the infection word has spread not only to other people in Aglami, but also to other newsgroups, such as alt.fan.douglas-adams, alt.games.creatures and alt.fan.starwars.

Using hurg

Hurg can be used in many ways. It is most frequently used in the context of "Hurg, I just ran over my cat!" but it can be used in other ways:

  • As an expression of exasperation: "Hurg, I just ran over my cat!"
  • When you're annoyed: "HURG!!"
  • In relation to something annoying: "You've been moderated." "How hurgic."
  • When you're bored: "/me hurgs"
  • When someone mentions you in relation bizarre sexual acts: [no example]

1The newsgroup alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island, allegedly for discussion of the Monkey Island games.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A621569

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more