A Conversation for World's Most Beautiful Buildings

The Custom House, Dublin, Ireland.

Post 1

DOB

The Custom House in Dublin has been called one of the most beautiful riverside buildings in the world. Built in the 18th century (I think) on the North bank of the Liffey, it's designed after St Paul's in London, but has its own unique character. The tall dome is recessed from the street, but to give the full effect sits atop a cylindrical tower. When in Dublin, it's worth taking a walk around the perimeter of the building, as it is truly magnificent from all sides. Unfortunately, it's hard to see it from O'Connell Bridge, the city's main thoroughfare, because of a great big railway bridge being in the way.

Other architecture worth checking out in Dublin would be the Four Courts (similar to the Custom House), Christchurch and St Patrick's Cathedrals, any of the bridges across the Liffey in the city centre, especially the Ha'penny Bridge, Trinity College, and the houses around city centre parks like Merrion Square and Fitzwilliam Square.

A thread like this really needs to include illustrations somehow, pictures painting 1000 words and all.


The Custom House, Dublin, Ireland.

Post 2

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Um. As much as I love railways, I'd happily tear that one down. And someone could do the world a favour by bombing Liberty Hall at the same time. How anyone could look at Custom House and then build that monstrosity next door is beyond my powers of comprehension.

TRiG.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more