The Vienna State Opera

0 Conversations


Early draft - to be greatly expanded


Imperial Glory and the Age of Mahler


Built as the Royal and Imperial Court Opera..ch...... by emperor Franz Josef in ....... The centre of the social and cultural life of the city, always a home to controversy. One architect killed himself and the other died, soon after, weakened by the controversy. Golden age while Mahler (link) was director, 1897-1907.


The New Republic and the Age of Richard Strauss


When Austria lost its empire in 1919, the renamed State Opera continued its central position in Viennese life, with Richard Strauss (link) among its directors.


Decline and Disaster



When the Nazis arrived, many of the stars left for England and America, and the stage and auditorium were destroyed by a bomb in March 1945 (footnote - it is widely believed that an American bomber pilot mistook it for a railway station).


Postwar Renaissance


Rebuilt on the same plan (including all the poor sightlines in the tiers of boxes). Re-opened with Beethoven's Fidelio (link) as a celebration of freedom.


One important musical feature of the Vienna State Opera is that its orchestra is the world-famous Vienna Philharmonic. Unusually, the State Opera keeps a large number of operas in production, 45 or 50 through a ten-month season. To support this, it has the highest level of subsidy of any opera house in the world, but the Austrians regard their opera as a matter of national pride, and are prepared to pay for it.

One final relic of the great days of Imperial Vienna is the Opera Ball, when a false floor over the stalls converts the whole interior into a giant ballroom.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A582644

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more