Magick

2 Conversations

These days Magic is often seen to belong only in stories. In spite of this there are many people who believe in magic to some degree. Believing that god can cause miracles is a belief in magic. Believing that certain things bring good or bad luck is a belief in magic.

There are some people who actively practice magic. These people often spell it magick or magik to differentiate it from the stuff in stories, or performed on stage by illusionists.

Those who believe Magick is real don't all define it the same way. For some it is using their personal will to create change in the world. For others it is invoking their deity(s) and asking for the desired change. Others consider it merely a form of self encouragement.

Casting

Divinities

Many times the caster(s) invoke varios deities, saints, angels, elementals or other supernatural beings (hereafter refered to as 'Divinities') to assist them. Most magick is a form of ritualised prayer. Some casters use only divinities from a certain group at all times, others use divinities from many different cultures.

Location

Many spellcasters have a special area set aside for casting which is not used for other purposes, except possibly worship. Often this area will be protected either by a summoned spirit, or a thought form created for defence. Thought forms are beings created from psychic energy for a specific task.

Tools

Depending on the caster's tradition none, some, or all of these tools may be used. Many of them also have different names depending on the tradition.

  • Alter
  • Candles
  • Cross
  • Dagger
  • Holy Symbol(s)
  • Incense
  • Pentacle
  • Pentagram
  • Robes
  • Wand

Parts of a Ritual Casting

Spellcasting rituals typically involve several parts. The opening part isolates the area where the caster(s) are working. This is sometimes to contain the energies until they are built up and ready for release. Other times it is to protect the caster(s).

Then comes the casting, where energies are built up and released to cause a desired effect.

Finally there is often a small grounding ceremony to relieve the caster(s) of any energy they might retain. Finally the ritual is finished by opening the area and banishing any protective entities summoned.

Sources of Rituals

Some casters use rituals found in books. They often believe that altering the ritual in any way could cause the spell to fail. Many believe that altering a spell ritual could have dire consequences.

Other casters write their own rituals, believing the energy put into creating a ritual strengthens the casting. Still others design their rituals 'on the fly', essentially making it up as they go along.

WARNING

It is reccomended that you not play around with the parts of a spell unless you have done lots of research before hand. Evan a small alteration can have major effects. It is generally best not to do any casting until you have spent a fair amount of time studying first.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A574120

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more