Recky - the Game Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Recky - the Game

0 Conversations

Recky is a playground ball game played in a small area of south-east England. It has a few similarities to other sports. The origins of the game are obscure but its name is thought to derive from the slang 'rec', for recreation ground. Recky can be played with any number of players and the pitch can be any size, so long as the borders of the pitch are decided before play starts. It is not a team game, every player plays for him or herself. The game does not work well on grass as the ball will be slowed down. Players are gradually declared 'out of the game', according to the rules below, until only a single player remains. That player is declared the winner.

Refereeing

No referee is used; the players resolve any disputes themselves. In the event of a prolonged disagreement, one or both of the players involved will walk off in a huff and play will resume with the remaining players.

Balls

Round balls should be used, not oval ones such as rugby balls or American footballs. Footballs can be used but are generally considered too large. Tennis balls are good but mini-footballs make for a better choice.

The Serve

The initial serve is the only time in the game when a player may touch the ball twice in a row. The serving player launches the ball vertically in the air then intercepts it with the palm of his hand as it falls back to earth. This deflects the ball towards the other players. This is much the same as in tennis, with the palm of the hand taking the place of the tennis racket.

Other players then continue play by hitting the ball towards one another with the palm of their hand. Holding the ball is not permitted1, only hitting it is allowed.

Ways to Be Sent out

Double Touch

Any player who touches the ball twice in a row or touches it with both hands is sent 'out'. This means that they cannot rejoin the game until the beginning of a new match. Any player who touches the ball must wait until another player has touched or hit it before hitting it again. This ensures a single player does not dominate the game.

Out of Pitch

If the ball leaves the pitch, whoever is to blame for the ball leaving is declared out. Also, if a player hits the ball to an area of the pitch that has no other players in it, the player who hit it is out. However, if a player hits the ball towards another player and that player fails to react in time, causing the ball to leave the pitch, the player who failed to deflect it is out, not the player who hit the ball.

The Out of Pitch rule is the one that leads to most players getting out. It also causes the most arguments about whose fault it is!

Footer

If the ball touches the foot of any player, that player is out. This ensures that players do not simply kick the ball towards one another, making it difficult to keep the ball in the pitch.

Catch Out

The most rare and satisfying way to get someone out is to 'catch' them out. Provided that the ball has not touched the ground since the last player hit it, a player can get them 'out' by catching the ball with one hand2. However, a player cannot be caught out immediately after they serve.

Once a player has been declared out, they leave the pitch and game resumes with a serve.

Recky Tactics

  • Never hit up into the air or you risk being caught out.

  • When hitting the ball, always aim for another player's feet and hit the ball as hard as you can. If the ball remains on target, the player will be out. Even if the player dodges the ball, the player could still be out if the ball then leaves the pitch.

  • Unless the ball is already heading your way, always try to stay as far away from it as possible. This gives you the maximum time to prepare to deflect or avoid3 the ball, should the next player hitting it direct it towards you.

  • If the ball is coming at you at a very fast speed, you may only be able to stop it moving and not make it go in another direction. If this happens, get away from the ball as fast as you can once you have stopped it. If you simply stand near the ball once you have stopped it4, another player will hit it towards your feet at close range, almost guaranteeing that you will be sent out. If the Footer rule doesn't get you, then the Out of Pitch rule will when you fail to stop the ball leaving the pitch. This is a particularly important tactic if only two players are left in the game, and generally means these players are continually swapping ends of the pitch.

Alternative Rules

Variable Pitches

Depending upon the markings on the ground, some players may choose to play with a square pitch while there are three or more players then switch to a rectangular pitch once only two players are left in, with the players starting at opposite ends.

Extended Footer Rule

Instead of being declared out only if the ball hits a player's foot, they are out if it hits them anywhere below the knee.

Multiple Lives

Players are not out the first time they break a rule, but instead lose a 'life', and are out when they have no lives left. This rule is especially used when there are only a few people playing.

1Except when catching someone out.2It has to be with one hand because if it was with two, it would be a Double Touch. This would mean that the catching player would be out, not the player who touched the ball previously.3If it is going to hit your feet.4Remember, you can't hit it again because of the Double Touch rule.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A559370

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more