Mid Calder, West Lothian, UK

1 Conversation

I have lived in Mid Calder for almost four years now, having moved there after my job moved to nearby Livingston.

At the time I had been told to get somewhere close to work, but had been put off Livingston by someone I met and took a look at the nearby towns.

Linlithgow, East Calder and Mid Calder all came up and I chose a flat in Mid Calder.

Mid Calder is typical of many villages in the Edinburgh commuting belt, it has an old "core" of a village center, made up of two or three main streets, lined by buildings of varying age from earlier in the 20th Century and older.

About a mile or less outside the center of the village is Calder House, with its estate extending to the limits of the village.

In the last twenty years or so, this land has been sold in part to build housing of varying sizes, all to private companies to build terraced, semi-detached and detached housing.

This has filled the available land and Mid Calder hasn't had any new building for the last five years or so, so its housing capacity is steady.

It sits around 10 miles out from Edinburgh on the main A71 route, so from 7.30am onwards in the morning is the time that most folks leave to travel to work in the Financial and other sectors that Edinburgh serves.

About 2 miles east of Mid Calder is East Calder, and 7 miles or so west is West Calder.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A553826

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more