A Conversation for Favourite Childhood Sweets and Candy

childhood sweets

Post 1

kanyonatic

i`ve found caramac,and various other sweets of the past but none seems to remember six million dollar man ice lollies they were lemonade with a blue mint center i remember them because i used to but at least two a day in the summers during the 70`s anyone else remember them?


childhood sweets

Post 2

Bravie2001

Some sweets that nobody seems to have mentioned yet...

Cadbury's 'Aztec' bars - from around 1968, came in a purple wrapper. They brought them back in a limited edition a couple of years ago and I was extremely disappointed - they were just like a Mars bar, not at all how I remembered them.

Cadbury's 'Stroodles' - little pieces of apple covered in chocolate; came in a flat circular red packet printed to look like an apple.

There was a fourth sweet in the Tots range - Teddy Tots, which were dolly mixtures.

One that nobody but me seems to remember (I've been on the verge of fist-fights with people who refuse point-blank to believe me): Opal Toffees. These were the third part of the Opal triumverate (the others, of course, being Opal Fruits - now Starburst - and Opal Mints - which became Pacers then vanished). To show how sad I am, I can remember the TV advert. Again, this dates from about 1968.

Couple sitting on the sofa; the bloke is chomping away.

She: What you chewing?
He: Opal Toffees!
She (incredulous): Opal Toffees?
He: Opal Toffees.
She (disbelieving): Opal don't make toffees!
He (tapping her on the nose with the packet): They do now!
She: How d'you know they're Opals?
He: Because they make me mouth water!

Not enough, obviously, because they didn't last long.

I must also mention a sweet available locally (in Edinburgh) which everyone called 'Doctor's Pills' - little aniseed balls that came in black and purple. As they were very light, a quarter-pound bag held a huge number. One day at school a boy came in with a *half-pound* bag and sat at the back of the French class eating them surreptitiously. Until the bag burst, that is. We heard a gentle pitter-patter which rapidly became a torrent. The teacher made him pick up every single one!


childhood sweets

Post 3

Researcher 206863

Does anyone else remember AMs? They were around in the late 70s/early 80s. They looked a bit like Trebor mints but were a boiled green sweet with a red centre. It's been a few years now, so I might have got a few details wrong. I'd love to see a piccy of them or just to know that someone else remembers them and that I'm not going mental.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more