A Conversation for Favourite Childhood Sweets and Candy

Marathon Bar

Post 1

Degenerate Press

There was once a chocolate covered caramel bar called The Marathon Bar, so named because it was a foot long. As a kid the best thing to do with these was to try to get the entire thing in your mouth at once, then suck off all the soft chocolate, leaving you with a mouthful of caramel.
I think they were banned by NATO...


Marathon Bar

Post 2

jmrharding

As far as I was aware the Marathon bar was what is now called Snickers, in a piece of marketing designed to bring harmony across Europe.

They had this advert, when the name was changing, of a guy in a cafe in London, who had a french woman asking him for "ze sneekers", (sic). Now for all those who appreciate a good pun, look away now, the waiter replied, "No love, I'm wearing proper shoes". It was a poor advert.

Talking of bringing harmony, what on earth does calling Opal Fruits Starburst mean? At least here in Britain we were able to keep Twixs called the same.


Marathon Bar

Post 3

manolan


What are Twix(e)s called elsewhere?


Marathon Bar

Post 4

Anne Mulligan

In Australia, they are also Twix, if you mean the twin chocolate bars with biscuit and caramel in the centre?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more