Luck

3 Conversations

Many people think that luck has a direct effect on their lives. This is WRONG in every important respect. Luck does not not have an affect (or is that effect?) on life situations, but is effected by those situations. Luck is merely the grouping of all the previous happenings of any given person. The 'Luck' of a person is determined by the desireability of his/her past experiences. For example, if the person had recently bought a sports car, or eaten a rather tasty ice-cream, then that person could be considered lucky. However, if the said person had previously been flattened by a ten tonne weight during a freak tropical tornado, then that person would be classed as unlucky. However, if the person was subject to two seperate events of 'luck' then one event may have an effect on the other. For instance, the obvious bad luck associated with losing some money on the street is overshadowed by the extreme good luck of inheriting a fair sum off some long-lost relative. So the person who would otherwise be thought of as unlucky, is now firmly lucky. The measure of how 'lucky' a person is, is catagorised by the things that has happened to that person throughout his/her life, with particular emphasis on the most recent events. Therefor, since luck is made up of things already happened, it has no effect on the future. There is only one exception to this, people who believe they are affected by luck, particularly bad luck, often find that due to their beliefs, they act in a way that just invites luck to strike them down. So it does.

The following meanings and definitions should be noted:

  • i)Luck - The result of the culmination of all the experiences of a single person.
  • ii)Good Luck - Luck resulting from pleasant experiences.
  • iii)Bad Luck - Luck resulting from unpleasant experiences.
  • iv)No Luck - The absence of good luck. To have no luck is usually considered bad luck.
  • v)Luck Nothing! - Expression often said by someone is obviously lucky in the way he/she attains something (wins at cards, marries a millionaire), and has been accused as such, but refuses to believe that anything other thatn his/her own skill is to thank.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A54190

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more